Clouds substance taking over cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RPM0625

Reaction score
Im on day 13 of fermentation. I added fresh cherries / juice to the 2nd stage to add flavor. ALl was good for several days - bubbling away fermenting the sugar,with about 3/4 of in inch of yeast at bottom. Then all of a sudden i woke up today and 3/4 of the brew had a cloudy thick substance. Is this normal? I tried to filter out but if falls right though strainer. any thoughts?

Pouring your cider through a strainer is a horrible idea. You've definitely damaged it with oxygen. The pectin from the cherries was the likely cause of the haze, or it could have also just been yeast in suspension. Either way, giving it plenty of time to settle out and clear is the way to go.

Ok thanks for the tip. think i ruined my batch with the strain? Here is a pic of how much substance...
IMG_6393.jpg

That stuff is mostly pectin but also some yeast beginning to settle.

Ruin is a relative term. You may find it perfectly drinkable but oxygen exposure via splashing through a strainer will definitely reduce the quality to some degree.

is it still fermenting? i did a sour cherry beer and had something close to that look in my fermentor.
it did settle out after a while.

That stuff is mostly pectin but also some yeast beginning to settle.

Ruin is a relative term. You may find it perfectly drinkable but oxygen exposure via splashing through a strainer will definitely reduce the quality to some degree.

Thanks!

It could be one of two things. My guess either it's a lactobacillus infection or an acetobacter infection.

If it starts to smell like vinegar and forms a skin on the surface then you have acetobacter. If it smells like butter and the lumps get bigger but no skin forms on the surface then its a lactobacillus infection and you have a malo-lactic fermentation going on which is desirable under some conditions because it softens the acid and enhances body.

Back