Cloudly Pilsner I am bit miffed.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NTOLERANCE

Reaction score
I have been making an American lite lager for a couple of years now. Sometimes it turns out well, other, not so well. I have been changing the ingredients up abit to get the desired flavor I want. One thing that has been consistant is clarity.

Couple of things,

I have always fermented at he same temps, 55-57 degrees. 2 week primary, month or more lager seconday.
Always the same yeast Saflager s-23
Always pellet hops.
Grain bill is about 7lbs or so of pilsner, 2row,6row, in varying combinations as I dial in on what I am looking for.

But....its always been clear, crystal clear untill this last batch. It was cloudn in theprimary and never cleared. Been in the secondary since april first, kegged this past weekend. Still cloudy.

Last Grain bill:

5 lbs of pilser
2.5 lbs of 2 row
.5 lbs carapils.

This time I did slightly change my mash, I dropped from 155 or so to 150 and went 75 minutes as opposed to 60. I changed the mash profile to a lighter body in Beersmith.

Beer doesnt taste bad, its really close to what I am looking for. Any thougths on why its cloudy?

Next time I am thinking all pilsner, and maybe some light crystal. But thats a topic for another thread.

What was your temp while lagering... I found it very hard for beers not to drop bright when sitting at 32F for about a month.

Other than that you could try fining with gelatin or other fining agents. I guess the important thing to find out is if it is just yeast haze or if its protein/chill haze. If it gets clear at room temp then its probably a chill haze, but if it stays at room temp then its probably yeast.

What was your temp while lagering... I found it very hard for beers not to drop bright when sitting at 32F for about a month.

Other than that you could try fining with gelatin or other fining agents. I guess the important thing to find out is if it is just yeast haze or if its protein/chill haze. If it gets clear at room temp then its probably a chill haze, but if it stays at room temp then its probably yeast.

Its been cloudy since the primary. I will chill it for a bit and see if it clears at all.

Back