Closed Loop Temperature Control with Avantco IC3500

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wuzabear

Reaction score
Has anyone attempted a closed loop temperature control with the Avantco induction burner? I have looked through the forums and while I know that the typical PID + SSR combo will not work, I think a different approach might.

The idea is to tap into the built in controls using an MCU (e.g., Arduino) to control the temperature. Imagine if the MCU could "press" the control buttons to change the power level of the burner based on readings from a temperature probe. The PID functionally could be programmed into the MCU, resulting in robust temperature control. You could even tap into the digital output of the burner to make sure it is set to what the MCU desires.

The reason I ask is because I am seriously considering buying an Avantco, but don't want to invest if accurate temperature control is not possible. I have the know-how to build such a system, but not the funds to risk it without knowing for sure that it will work (I have no idea what the internal circuitry looks like for the control panel).

Any thoughts? Has anyone experimented with a similar approach?

Thanks! Love these forums!

Back