Clearity on some kegging questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayStizzo

Reaction score
Hey guys, so I just took my first step into the world of kegging last night. I picked up two corney kegs off of Craigslist and I'm hoping to have my system ready for Xmas/new years. Since time is not an issue, I would like to use the "set and forget method" for carbing. My hope is to carb over the 3 weeks leading up to the holidays, then set the kegs outside (gets cold enough outside) and just serve with a picnic tap. I did the research and understand the concept of carbing at lower temperature etc. But if I was to carb at room temp for 3 weeks before chilling the beer down, do I set the psi based off the three weeks at room temp, or do I set it based off the serving temp? (I only plan to chill it the day before). Also, if I get it carbed after the 3 weeks, how long should the kegs last without being on pressure?

Is there any risk of starting a keg a week before the other? I understand the pressures would try to equalize, but if I shut off co2 to keg a before the initial blast to keg b, will I be ok?

I'm sorry if these are rookie questions that have been answered elsewhere... I did try to find them already I swear :tank:

The pressure regulator needs to be set at the correct pressure (based on temp at time) for when you are actually carbonating the beer. Once you cool to serving temps you will have to reduce the pressure for your tap and line length.

It take my beer about 1.5 weeks or more to passively carbonate. This said there is no risk starting one keg before the other as long as you do not run out of time. The liquid will only absorb X amount of CO2 at a temp and pressure. So even if the keg is hooked up longer it will only get to 100% saturation for the temp/pressure and stay there.

Cheers

Also, if I get it carbed after the 3 weeks, how long should the kegs last without being on pressure?

Wait, you're not going to keep them hooked to CO2 for dispensing? If that's what you mean then they are going to slowly decarb every time you draw a pint. Also without pressure you probably won't be able to dispense for long.

If you're talking about just leaving them there untapped then they will stay carbonated indefinitely (assuming no leaks).

Hey guys,

Thanks for the info, really appreciate it!

Chickypad, my intention was to carb up, then take them off co2 til serving... Mainly wondering as I'm not sure if we'd go through both in one dinner, so was curious about storage time.

Thanks again guys... This is the first attempt, so I've got my fingers crossed. Wishing for some taps for Xmas too, so hopefully a kegerator will be my new year project

Yep, should be fine then. Just be meticulous checking for leaks.
Hope Santa finds your house okay :mug:

Back