Clearing with Gelatin/Bentonite?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oljimmy

Reaction score
Hi All, I've got a 6-gallon batch (Nottingham yeast) that's been cold crashing for 2 weeks now. I added pectic enzyme to clear at the outset before fermentation, but there is still a stubborn haze that refuses to go away. I need my fermentation chamber for other projects and so I'd like to try to clear the cider with gelatin or some other fining agent.

Question: do you need to stir the bentonite or gelatin solution into the cider, or does it just mix in naturally and take the haze out? The reason I ask is that I think it would be awesome to put a layer of precipitated haze and gelatin on TOP of the cold-crashed yeast to ensure that the subsequent racking gets none of that yeast. However, if I have to stir the fining agent in, then obviously that will kick up all the yeast and I'll lose my cold crash. Thoughts?

Not yet on this one, no. I was having a hard time crashing it and didn't want to get fermentation going. The idea was to crash successfully and bottle-condition.

I prefer a secondary in a crboy or clear plastic bottle.You can actually watch it clear day by day.

I've never used gelatin for clearing cider, but I have used it for beer. In beer you want to swirl it in. Not quite a stir, but just enough to spread it out. If you've got it in a bucket or carboy you should be able to perform the necessary swirl without disturbing your sediment on the bottom. The gelatin will start near the top and start grabbing the haze causing clumps on its way down to the bottom of your vessel.

Thanks monkeyface, I'll give it a shot. Worst case I just get a little bit of clearing done while racking off the cold crash.

Back