Clearance/Restocking Brew, pls criticize!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GQT

Reaction score
Hi, I wanted to clear out my grain storage before buying more. So this is what came to me:

1.32 kg Pale Ale 2row (6.9 EBC)
1.00 kg Pilsen (2.0 EBC)
1.18 kg Wheat Flakes (3.2 EBC)
0.40 kg Rye Flakes (3.9 EBC)
0.20 kg Oat Flakes (2.0 EBC)
0.40 kg Cane Sugar
40 g Saaz @ 60
Orange or Pomelo Peel, Coriander, etc., etc.
WY 3463 Forbidden Fruit in 2L starter
OG ~ 1047, FG - whatever comes out.

I'm very loosely targeting at something like Belg White/Blonde Ale - sure it will be a totally different beer but I'd like to retain some of its character.
I will not be able to edit the amount of ingredients as this is a "all must go" brew, so the question is mainly about what do you think will turn out and what would be the best way to mash it.

Thank you!

It's going to be interesting. With all those flaked grains you may want to do a protein rest and definitely add some rice hulls or bag it to avoid sticking the run-off. Otherwise, it should be tasty. I'd skip the huge starter if the yeast is fresh as that is going to be a small beer, maybe 1L at the most unless the yeast is old and lazy.

@porterpounder:
Thank you!
Protein rest - thanks I would probably forget it!
I do BIAB, so rice hulls are not necessary.
Yeast dates back to early january, plus endured a trip from USA to Hong Kong and then to China mainland, so I make starters for all my yeast (and slant every strain I have).

Its mother is a hamster, and its father smelt of elderberries!

Looks viable to me, depending on how much "etc" there is.

Back