clear glass bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewmadness

Reaction score
So you always hear people say not to use clear glass bottles. But if you bottle and then it goes into a closed box in a dark closet to condition and then from there to a dark fridge to chill......what difference is it going to make. The beer is in the dark all the time anyway, how does it know it is in a clear bottle?? Just wondering what the mystery of clear glass is.

Clear bottles kept in the dark = no problem.

I guess most of us err on the safe side and use brown bottles in case we leave them in sunlight.

yes, you are right it doesn't make any difference. People use dark colored bottles to prevent ultra violet rays. You can see this concept in laboratories also. They keep chemicals in dark bottles which need to prevent from sun rays or UV rays.

Like others said - it's just more prone to UV rays but if you keep it in the dark you shouldn't have any problems.

Stay away from clear bottles. Although larger clear vessels, such as carboys are safe, the smaller diameter of a bottle causes the light to refract at such an angle where even the slightest incidental light exposure will destroy your beer.

Ha;) Glad to know I can still BS up to my old college paper standards.

This is something that always made me scratch my head.

I'm assuming people out there store their beer in the back yard in sunlight or have a fridge with a solid glass door???

How the heck are you getting light to your beer if your storing it in a dark area or have it covered to prevent it from getting any light and then putting it in a fridge which has no light??

I think the general idea that most of us know is don't store it in light and using clear bottles is OK.

Clear bottles enable you to see the yeast layer from bottle carbonating, and for you and friends to practice good pour technique. Try it, I was surprised.

Most of my EzCap bottles are clear (about 2/3 of them), and I make no attempt to keep them in the dark, just out of the sun. I also make no attempt to bottle any brew with all of one or all of the other. I can tell you from experience that I have no problem with skunking. If there were, you could tell the difference between a brown bottle beer and a clear bottle beer............. There is no detectable difference. They spend about half of the bottle conditioning period in a closed cupboard, the rest of their lives sitting on an open shelf exposed to ambient room light where a direct sunbeam never touches them.

That said, a clear bottle or glass of beer can skunk in direct sunlight very quickly..... Use clear bottles, but be careful how they are stored.

H.W.

Back