Clear Draught System / Sampling during Lagering Stage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AF1HomeBrew

Reaction score
After brewing a triple batch of Gordon Strong’s Helle’s recipe with two other stragglers on Feb 9th , a few weeks ago we started the lagering process with a Helles ending @ 6% ABV. About 1% over beer style, but that’s what I get for using a custom Spike Brewing Mashtun and the water treatment from the recipe (using RO water). By "Straggler’s" I mean other people that do not have any/or most of the equipment to ferment and/or lager a beer, but have the $ to pay for their share of the ingredients, and help out during the brewing process. Over the last three weeks I’ve been sampling the Helle’s from MY keg in a Haier 7.2 cu.ft. freezer that I have all three batches lagering in kegs, lowering the temperature of the freezer by a degree every 2 days. I have my keg configured with a Clear Draught system, so when I sample I am drawing from the top of the keg (so I am not dealing with any yeast that may have been transferred into the keg from the fermenter). I have to say that I’ve tried several recipes from Gordon Strong’s “Modern Homebrew Recipes”, and the the Helles recipe is quickly becoming my favorite recipe and am looking forward to brewing a double batch just for myself soon. During mashing I did a quick 5 minute decoction, because I was having with an issue with my temp probe, induction hot plate under my mashtun, or maybe it was the new BCS-482 itself - to help get to the 2nd mash rest.

Anyway, because of the Clear Draught System I am able to taste slight changes during the lagering process besides the color of the sample.

Anyone else doing this?

During the last 3 weeks I've noticed the color changing from a reddish color to a clearer beer and from sweeter to slightly drier finish. I am beginning to enjoy the slight changes over time.

Last edited:
Back