clear - cloudy - clear

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p_p

Reaction score
Hi, I prepared wort for an IPA that gets quite a load of flameout hops.
At the end of the boil, the wort was crystal clear, with hot break here and there.
After I steeped hops (bag squeezed when removing), the wort was cloudy as soup. I immediately started formulating theories I don't fully understand like "yea, must be the poly-phenols or the whatever else".
Then I chilled the wort and boom, crystal clear again with "nebulas" of what I presume are coagulated proteins floating about.

Can you explain this phenomenon?

thanks
P

You stirred up the break material when adding hops, and then it fell back to the bottom of the pot?

You stirred up the break material when adding hops, and then it fell back to the bottom of the pot?

I sure did, specially considering I tend to toss and turn the hop bags hoping to get better extraction. However..... Isn't hot break material made of big clumps (as in can be seen by the naked eye)? The cloudiness I refer too was more like how clorinated water looks like right after coming from the tap.

Latest posts

Back