Clear after 1 day?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildactbrewer

Reaction score
I just brewed 4 gallons of an APA with an OG of 1.047. I pitched 1 packet of Nottingham Ale Yeast which I rehydrated beforehand. Fermentation took off = Happy Camper!

I checked on it 24 hours later and the beer was crystal clear except for the chunks of yeast swimming around in there? I've used Notty before but never had it clear up that quick. There were a couple of variables that I should mention that may be contributing to this.

1. I used 1 tsp of Irish Moss @ 15mins

2. My basement is has an ambient temp of 60F, and it's sitting on the concrete floor which is freakin' cold!

Would the colder temps have caused flocculation to happen early/too much? And is this a bad thing? It's still bubbling nicely with a high krausen...

I just brewed 4 gallons of an APA with an OG of 1.047. I pitched 1 packet of Nottingham Ale Yeast which I rehydrated beforehand. Fermentation took off = Happy Camper!

I checked on it 24 hours later and the beer was crystal clear except for the chunks of yeast swimming around in there? I've used Notty before but never had it clear up that quick. There were a couple of variables that I should mention that may be contributing to this.

1. I used 1 tsp of Irish Moss @ 15mins

2. My basement is has an ambient temp of 60F, and it's sitting on the concrete floor which is freakin' cold!

Would the colder temps have caused flocculation to happen early/too much? And is this a bad thing? It's still bubbling nicely with a high krausen...

check your gravity. the cold can make the yeast floc out early and british ale strains tend to be sensitive to cold temps but if it's still working I wouldn't worry too much. could be the IM.

I'm going to give it at least a week before I take a reading. Unless everything appears to have stopped. I just thought that it was weird...

I would try to rouse the yeast a bit. Notty is great at low temps but no way should it be done so quickly

Sent from my GT-I8552B using Home Brew mobile app

Update: Checked on it again when I got home from work. It looks normal now. The beer is still a little clearer than I'm used to but I'm thinking that's from the better hot/cold break combo with the Irish Moss. But the yeast it going nuts now!

Thanks for the replies

Update: Checked on it again when I got home from work. It looks normal now. The beer is still a little clearer than I'm used to but I'm thinking that's from the better hot/cold break combo with the Irish Moss. But the yeast it going nuts now!

Thanks for the replies

When Notty is going nuts, it pays to keep it cool (like upper 50's to low 60's). Once it slows down, bumping it up into the middle 60's is a good practice.

Back