cleaning these carboys

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

truckndad

Reaction score
I got a couple carboys off craigslist for 35 bucks total. This guy apparently had them stashed in the garage for a long, long, very looong time. One of em even has remnants of a spiders nest in it. So, my plan is to obviously rinse aggressively, then give each of em a good soaking in an oxiclean solution. They're five gallons each, so I'm thinking 4 1/2 gallons water with 5 scoops oxiclean. Probably do that twice, each time using the brush on pretty hard.

Anybody got any other ideas that might be a little easier, or maybe more efficient? I've seen that brush that attatches to a drill, but I just got a Midwest order, so I'm not going to order that now and pay the shipping on that brush by itself.

I think you'll be amazed at how well the oxy works. Especially on anything organic. My guess is that the plan you listed is even overkill. One scoop of oxy has always been enough to clean even the nastiest carboys for me.

I posted a thread a couple of days ago with a quick and easy DIY carboy cleaner. If you do a search for "carboy cleaner," you will find other examples as well.

Also, if you have hard water you want to watch how long you leave the oxyclean in them. If I leave it too long (overnight) I get little white deposits all over the inside. You can get rid of them with an acid rinse but it's an extra step. It's a little more expensive but PBW is a better option IMO if you have hard water.

Make sure you use hot water.
I tried PBW first for my carboy after a day and numerous shakes at random times, no dice. I then went to a HOT water oxiclean and it was crystal clear in less then an hour

you can try putting a bunch of rice in the oxiclean solution, then plug the top and give them a real good shake. It acts like a gentle abrasive. I've had good luck with it removing stubborn krausen rings and dried sediment.

I use a wine degasser and tie a couple strips of fabric to the wings (you could use 1" strip cuttings from an old t-shirt) and then fill the carboy up with 1/2 scoop oxy and 2 gallons of warm water....attach degasser to drill and shes crystal on 30 seconds...even with the crusty stuff 2 months old.

You might also use a solution of chlorine bleach and cold water - say, about 1/3 cup for 5 gallons. Let it sit and soak.

Back