Cleaning new silicone tubings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For me, if it came sealed in a bag, and looks clean, it most likely IS clean. If I'm at all concerned, I run water through it.

I only sanitize any tubing that will come in contact with chilled wort. That's typically a dunk (getting inside matters) in a bucket of Starsan.

I'll soak any tubing I've used that's got something in it that won't rinse out in PBW for as long as I think. Sometimes overnight or for a few days. Just depends on what else I have going on. Once I pull it, I just rinse it completely (again, inside and out) to remove any trace. Then it usually goes into the brewing supply area, or tote, until next brew day.

It should be clean if new and in a sealed bag. If you bought it cut to length, you might want to rinse with some Starsan to make sure, as it was probably cut off a spool in a warehouse somewhere. Certainly sanitize any tubing before using on the cold side. BTW, if you leave silicone tubing in Starsan for a long time, it'll turn a whitish color.

Back