Cleaning Mistake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZenBrew

Reaction score
I recently learned that I should not use dish soap to clean my brewing equipment because that can affect head retention. I have been having an issue with head retention, so... yeah, time to stop using dish soap.

I'm about to brew another beer and I'd like to try and eliminate any soap residue on my equipment. How do I do this? I'm thinking scrub with vinegar, then rinse, clean with oxyclean free, and then rinse again.

I have been there too. I used apple-scented Dawn. Not only did my head retention suck, but I also had a nasty apple-scented off-flavor. Yuck!!!

I switched to unscented dish soap and super hot water. I also started using Star San after. Again, I feel the key is super hot water. Before I had kids, I would turn up the temperature on my hot water heater a notch on brew days. Just be careful if you have kids or if SWMBO decides to shower.

The sides of your equipment should squeak from being clean; no residue or soapy film.

Good luck,

-Ritalin

I use OxyClean Free. I still rinse three times (and of course stars an to sanitize with no rinse) to make sure it's all off because I think that can affect head retention too.

Many use PBW. I'm guessing that PBW won't ruin your head.

Thanks for the tips! I used both dish soap and oxyclean free. Used only oxyclean free and really hot water on the last batch.

I'll have to seriously consider moving to PBW.

A good vinegar soak will help get rid of the soapy residue. Just be sure to rinse really well.

I use oxy-clean free to get rid of any gunk left in boil kettles, fermenters, corny kegs, etc. A little goes a long way, and just let it soak. Again, rinse really well. On brew day, I sanitize using star sans. For the most part after brewing, I just rinse everything really well using water from my immersion chiller run-off. I give everything a good cleaning a few times a year.

Latest posts

Back