Cleaning kegs that held cooking oil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carros

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I found some decently priced corny kegs on craigslist. The ad says they were used to hold cooking oil previously though. I'm thinking a good oxiclean soak should get them clean enough to hold beer in, but wanted to check on here to see if anyone had experience with cleaning this type of stuff out of a keg.

Thanks

You will need some kind of degreaser like a dish soap. Then rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse, and rinse again. Then I would hit it with some Oxy, rinse and then acid sanitizer. That should do it.

I use to use Sysco oil containers cuz they are 5.5 gallons. I stopped for one its plastic. (Porous) and you can never get all the oil out. Doesn't make the mead gross or anything, just a lot better off with a glass carboy or brewing bucket.

It is better to use a degreaser rather than an oxidizer like Oxy-something. Your best bet is TSP (tri sodium phosphate) or TSP 90 (without the phosphorus for environmental reasons). Hot water helps.

Simple Green will degrease them well, then follow up with several GOOD, hot rinses, then a PBW or Oxi-Clean wash.

This is what I'd do. Just dilute the Simple Green in accordance with the instructions on the bottle and don't leave it sitting in there for a long, long time before rinsing it out.

I'd bet that Dish Soap, hot water, a sponge and some elbow grease would do the trick. Just scrub several times and thoroughly rinse. When oil is stored in some kinds of plastic containers it never seems to come off, but dish soap should be adequate for metal surfaces. You do want to use a detergent though, other types of cleaners won't be very effective. Detergents are amphiphilic (sp?) and are therefore able to dissolve in both non-polar substances (the oil) and polar substances (the water), allowing them to wash the oil away.

Back