Cleaning Glassware

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodwha

Reaction score
Way back when I use to use dish soap to clean my glassware. I had issues with head retention and was told this was an issue. I did a salt scrub on them all and have been using old Star San and a sponge since then. Most beers are fine, but my jalapeño ales have always fizzled out rapidly. Asking about that someone felt there must be some sort of oil in it to cause this. However yesterday we were at a BYOB food park and I took Red Solo cups and found my beer had minimal head. Not as much as it ought to have had, but it did keep some. This tells me I still have an issue with my glasses, right?

So how do I start over with them?

And what are you all doing with yours to clean them? What do bars use in the sinks and dishwasher under the counter?

I usually just soak mine in hot water only, give them a scrub after a bit, and let them air dry. I have noticed, however, my wife throwing some glasses in the dishwasher (one of those new ones that take 3 hours to clean dishes) and the glasses have come out spotless and head retention isnt an issue. It even uses jet dry. Not sure why the soap and whatnot doesnt affect the beer.

Either way, my standard of glass cleaning is a hot water soak and scrub, followed by air dry.

A guy at the brew equip store told me that the rinsing agent in a standard dishwasher may affect the glassware in this way; also the bottles if using the dishwasher to sanitize.

I usually just soak mine in hot water only, give them a scrub after a bit, and let them air dry. I have noticed, however, my wife throwing some glasses in the dishwasher (one of those new ones that take 3 hours to clean dishes) and the glasses have come out spotless and head retention isnt an issue. It even uses jet dry. Not sure why the soap and whatnot doesnt affect the beer.

Either way, my standard of glass cleaning is a hot water soak and scrub, followed by air dry.

I have the same experience with the dishwasher, the glasses get literally squeaky clean, not using a rinse aid. Is yours a Samsung by any chance? Nice machine, but man, 3-4 hours to run a cycle... we don't use it very often for that reason, but it's great once in while or after a party. 3-4 batches sometimes, takes the whole day.

In the sink, a little washing soda (PBW works great too) added to the hot water does wonders to cut any grease. Then rinse well and air dry.

I have the same experience with the dishwasher, the glasses get literally squeaky clean, not using a rinse aid. Is yours a Samsung by any chance? Nice machine, but man, 3-4 hours to run a cycle... we don't use it very often for that reason, but it's great once in while or after a party. 3-4 batches sometimes, takes the whole day.

In the sink, a little washing soda (PBW works great too) added to the hot water does wonders to cut any grease. Then rinse well and air dry.

Mine is Kenmore. We needed a new one bad because the last one was incredibly loud. There is a one hour wash mode, but seeing how we just run it in the morning or at night before bed, the time frame doesnt really impact us. We usually stick to the "smart wash" which uses a lot less water, hence the 3 hour wash.

Back