Cleaning bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jbird

Reaction score
I just got some free bottles. I cleaned them pretty good, so I thought. Well I let them dry upside down and about a week later I saw mold in them. I was thinking about soaking them in bleach over night and trying to clean them the best i can. Do you think this would work and kill all the mold? Or should I just throw them out and get new ones?

Clean all solids out with Oxyclean and a bottle brush. You can use the bleach solution, but rinse really well. Then sanitize with Starsan on bottling day. I have had mold in a lot of bottles and I just clean really well, sanitize and fill. 3/4 of my bottles are "recycled" commercial bottles. I would never throw away a bottle unless it gets a chip around the mouth. I lose to many by giving them away and not getting them returned.

Sounds good. I am the same way. I get most of mine from friends. I'll give that a try.

Ok just soaking them in oxy clean and a little bleach. Maybe over night and then bottle brush them.

Khrist!!!
NEVER NEVER mix stuff with bleach!!! IF you mix with an acid, even lemon juice, you generate chlorine gas, REALLY!!! I did it, it works.
You should call nearest hospital and tell them to expect you with serious lung edema.

Really I mixed maybe a teaspoon I'll be fine. But thank you for your concern.

Plus the lid to the bucket was on and it's cool. It aaa just a small amount.

Back