Cleaning bottles with quaternary ammonium

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aechavar

Reaction score
Hello everybody, 2 weeks ago I made my Second Batch of beer. Today I bottled it, but I was wondering if I made a mistase while bottling. I cleansed my bottles with a quaternary ammonium, called PentaQuad. The label says it is food grade product and that there is no need for rinsing afterwards. I did not rinse and I packed my beer. I was wondering if that Will prevent carbonato since in theory it kills yeasts??

Thank you!

I wouldn't worry about it until you open them and find something is wrong. Then you can add that to your list of possible causes.

Otherwise relax for the next two or three weeks. Likely if you let the bottles drain before filling them, then there won't be enough to be an issue for anything.

You might not want to feed your beer to lab rats though.

From a previous post by @beerclean

"Quat(Quaternary Ammonium) is a great all purpose sanitizer, the only problem is its terrible on beer glasses. Quat will leave a coating behind or a film that prevents the glass from having a proper lacing effect. Steramine is a quat based product.

This will also kill the beer head quite fast and make it dissipate. I would recommend the Iodophor for sanitizing. I personally use B-T-F Iodophor, but Starsan is also a good product.

Products similar to steramine if you read are "general" or "all purpose sanitizers". Due to the fact that they are cheap people tend to use them without understanding the issues it may cause on the beer collar."

Back