Cleaning blow off hose trouble

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peterfuse

Reaction score
hey my pale ale fermented really quickly and i went out and bought a blow off hose. now that the krausen has dropped a little ive put the airlock back on the carboy. Now ive tried cleaning the crap thats caked onto the inside of the blowoff tube and i dont know how to get it out. ive been steeping it in hot water but nothing moves the brown crap.

How do you guys clean your pipes after a blow off?:D

thebikingengineer said:
Soak it in oxyclean. It might cloud up, but should be clean.

+1
Oxyclean cleaned my REALLY nasty blowoff tube a while back, in just a few minutes I could rinse out most of it, and after letting it soak for a while it is nice and clean again.

I have a nice little brush that fits the tube and I just drag it through it a couple times after soaking it in water. You may to add some string or wire to pull it but the abrasion from the brush removes the gunk.

I read a post a little while ago where someone suggested using a rifle cleaning kit for cleaning hoses. I gather they come with a long wand that you can attach some cloth or something onto? I have never cleaned a gun myself but it seems like it'd work.

lol, well here in Northern Ireland certain circumstances(The troubles) have prevented too many people from owning rifles and therefore no rifle cleaning kits. Unless your in a paramilitary group, in which case you're sorted. It sounds like it would work though.

I got tired of cleaning my blow-off tube. Soaking 4 feet of 1.25" OD tubing is a PITA, and trying to get a brush through it is even worse. I finally gave up when I was pulling my brush through the hose and the string broke, stranding my brush inside.

I chopped up the hose, got some 1" PVC pipe and some elbows. That works much better. If you push the pieces together, they hold fine without cement, so that you can take it all apart again.

Here is a really bad picture (SWMBO has our camera). But I think you can get the idea.

Dsc00084.jpg

Back