cleaning and sanitizing carboys

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vox

Reaction score
How do you all go about cleaning and sanitizing your carboys? I've heard some use non scented oxyclean to clean it with a carboy brush and fill with starsan or your choice of sanitizing solution with warm water for 20 minutes. Just wondering what cleaners and methods you use.

Yeah I use unscented non-enzyme napisan (sorta the aussie equivalent to oxyclean) and soak the bucket for a while and give it a light scrub.
Then I fill it with a little water with a tiny bit of vinegar to get the soapy crap out faster. It works great.
Then I fill it back up with water and use an iodophore solution with approx 1-1.2ml per litre of water and leave it to sit for 20mins. If I had starsan I'd use that because it sounds so easy to use, but I'm on a budget and I have about half a bottle of iodophore left.

i inherited 14 carboys, many of which were caked completely in wine. I think 5 gal actually evaporated over years in a few, the other were never cleaned. 48 hours with oxyclean and water took it all off except for a bit at the bottom, did 48 next with bleach, then starsan rinse.

for just bad krausen caked on i do oxyclean for 24 then starsan rinse

day to day, a carboy brush and hot water, a little dishsoap.

occasionally one will need an oxyclean soak, but soaking it overnight with hot water seems almost as effective as oxyclean.

if something has been aging a year or so in a carboy, its right to the PBW.

sanitizing depends if I feel like iodophor or starsan at the time.

I never had a nasty crusty carboy but here is what I do. I wash with hot soapy water and a brush. Then I run a garden hose inside it for a long time until no soap remains. If its the first time I use a carboy, new or used I fill with bleach and water for a day then repeat the wash sequence. I dry and store upside down. Then before I use the carboy I rinse with one step.

Latest posts

Back