cleaning a hard to clean used corny keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slcdawg

Reaction score
I just picked up a 3rd used corny keg, this one from Midwest. The first two I soaked in oxi-clean overnight and they were clean with minimal scrubbing. This one has some residue that is difficult to get off. I tried soaking in oxi-clean overnight twice and have to really scrub with a green scotch brite to get it off. I want to ensure I get it all. Any tips on cleaning hard to remove residue?

Yes, I use Oxi for everyday cleaning, I use PBW for stubborn stuff. Also, save yourself some headache. Rebuild the whole thing. Take off the dip tube and let it drop into a full kegs worth of PBW solution. Heat the water first. 175 degree pbw solution can take care of even the most stubborn stains.

I would probably

A) Preheat 4 gallons of h20 to 175. Put it into the keg (it'll be HOT) wear gloves and long sleeves when handling it!
B) Add a full strength solution of PBW (usually one scoop for this much h20).
C) shake it like hell (It's hot! don't burn yourself!)
D) Pressure the keg with CO2 and run all 4 gallons through the diptube/liquid out post into your stainless kettle.
E) Take off the dip tube, both posts, and gas in tube. Put the small parts in a smaller container of PBW solution, drop the diptube into the keg so it completely submerges. Scrub the small parts.
D) rebuild the keg with fresh Orings.
E) pressure it slightly and leave the PBW solution in the keg. Turn it upside down for an hour or and hour and a half.
F) Turn it right side up for an hour or an hour and a half.
G) Dump the solution (it's always best to clean all your empty kegs at one time for this reason IMHO, less waste).
H) Rinse with HOT H20 thoroughly. Fill with 2-3 gallons of uber hot h20 after it's completely rinsed.
I) pressurize it with Co2, and run the entire 2-3 gallons of clean hot water through the dip tube and liquid out post.
J) Fill it with Starsan solution
K) pressurize it and run the starsan completely through the liquid out tube. Shake it around too to get the starsan on the entire inside
L)Your done. Leave the c02 in it store it pressurized and sanitized.

I know that's a lot of steps, but I can virtually guarantee you'll have a clean keg, with no gas or liquid leaks, and no dispensing problems. It feels great when you line up 6 kegs and just run the liquid through them one to the next and when you're done you feel like you can brew 6 batches of beer and be ready to roll!

Hope this helps.

Cool, thanks for the beta. I'll give pbw a shot. Thanks for all the steps, will do most of them!

I bought a keg cleaner from the makers of the carboy cleaner. It attaches to a drill and makes keg cleaning super easy. I put about half a gallon of water with a half scoop of oxiclean in each keg.

OK, so I'm starting to get concerned about this keg. I soaked it in 4 gallons of 175F PBW solution for 1-2 hours, turned upside down for another 1-2 hours. Scrubbed until it felt clean. Rinsed with 175F water several times and turned upside down to dry.

Checked it today and the bottom is covered with black residue. I'm concerned what all that black stuff is. It can't be dried corn syrup since that should have come off. Is it food safe? Anyone else have this much trouble cleaning a used keg? my first to were easy.

Green scotch-brite on the end of a rod (you'll have to figure out how to attach it). Run that on your drill with hot cleaner.

B-brite has always worked for me no matter how stubborn and overnight soak in hot water takes care of it all.

I used PBW last night on the two used kegs I received. It worked amazingly. I was really impressed with the strength and ease of use.

Since you have a replacement, how about a nuclear option like oven cleaner or something for the stained/soiled original?

Todd

just add a bit of really hot water+pbw to the bottom and let it ride for like a week or more. I've done this on some nasty kegs and the crud usually comes off with some scrubbing after that. I would do this before trying something like oven cleaner.

Oven cleaner is sodium hydroxide (lye) which is fine on stainless. But it's caustic and irritating and I would avoid it if you can.

I will have to try these. I have a keg that is really bad off. The LHBS said to maybe try LLC to see if that can clean it.

Back