Cleaning a chest freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

count_dookie

Reaction score
2 weeks ago I got a free chest freezer and learned that nothing in life is truly free. The person I got it from had someone working on their garage, they unplugged it, and didn't ever plug it back in. The deer in the freezer did not fair well.

So far I have sprayed it down with bleach twice, sprayed it down with vinegar and let a gallon of it stand in the bottom for a week closed, left it out without the top on it for several days through rain and sun, sprayed down with an oxy enzyme pet spray 3 times, and it is currently sitting with a large bowl of vinegar and the bottom covered with 2 boxes of baking soda.

I though that I had defeated the stink but after bringing it in there is still a bit of mustiness to it. Does anyone have additional ideas on how to fight the smell? I am wanting this to be fermentation chamber but I'm starting to think I am just wasting my time trying to get this thing deer free.

Man, I don't really want to even think about the stench :drunk:

Anyway...remove the lid liner. From experience it's typically held in place by a couple dozen plastic pop-fasteners, plus one sheet metal screw in each corner. If you're reasonably careful you can re-use the fasteners.

If you find a bat of fiberglass insulation, toss it, it's likely the source of the lingering stench. If you find foam, it can be removed (tediously) and you can replace it with a couple layers of rigid foam. Either way, bleach-bomb the inside of the lid, let it air out, then install new insulation...

Cheers! (and good luck)

I found a cheap one on CL awhile back...an apartment complex maintenance guy who cleaned out evicted tenants had it plugged in at a storage locker in the complex. It worked great...looked clean...etc. Got it home and let it defrost...and then it began. Sickening cat urine smells. Like you, I pondered putting it on the curb.

Instead, I did a regimen of rinsing with a bleach cleaner, followed by baking soda, vinegar, etc. Like trippr said, I took off the liner and replaced the insulation. Also, I resealed the interior corners/walls with a clear silicone sealant. I used that same sealant/adhesive on the wood 2" x 6" collar I added to the top.

For $40, price of wood, and a little elbow grease, I ended up with a great fermentation chamber.

When I use it now, I place two refillable Damp-Rid containers in there...which takes out most of the condensation. Works like a champ. Just clean it out after each fermentation.

Definitely worth giving it a shot...especially if you got it for free to begin with!

Cheers!

it took a while but I think it is stink free, couldn't get into the insulation but filled it with probably 10 pounds of baking soda and kept cycling it through freezing and non freezing temps. It seemed to work well to kill the bugs.

I was losing hope but decided to get the bulk of the baking soda out and once I did there was no noticeable smell. I've got a simcoe smash bubbling in there right now and all it smells like is hops. :ban::ban::ban:

I think I will add a damp-rid to it to see if it helps with the moisture problems. Does it effect your airlock levels at all?

I have the same problem. I have used lemon and baking soda but the result is same. I don't know what is the solution is :(

Back