cleaning a blowoff tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdwardPaulsen

Reaction score
hi everyone!
does anyone have any tips for cleaning blowoff tubes?
my last batch REALLY got it gunked up inside and i'm not sure how to proceed.
any help is much appreciated!
ed

A couple of tips.

Soak in an oxyclean/water solution overnight. That should do the trick.

You could also wad up a large piece of paper towel and stuff it in the tube (it should be tight). Use your garden hose or hose connection to force water into the tube sliding the paper towel down the tube slowly. This removes alot of the gunk. Repeat a few times and then clean with soap/water.

I wouldn't suggest using a hose brush on it, as this will no doubt leave scratches on the inside. This will make it harder to clean and sanitize. Oxyclean and hot water is really the best way, IMO.

3 foot 1/4" dowel w/ a soft rag patch attached to one end...very similiar to cleaning a shotgun barrel. Or a piece of stiff wire w/ the insulation remaining and a rag patch / cottonball attached.

When cleaning anything brew-related, I follow the above procedure: PBW followed by Star San.

When cleaning anything brew-related, I follow the above procedure: PBW followed by Star San.

+1

And after a few uses where it gets this gunked up, throw it away and buy another. Tubing is reported to be a common source of infections because it can be difficult to sanitize after several uses when it will develop small cracks that harbor bacteria.

Back