Cleaning a 1 in ID blowoff tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chefboubou

Reaction score
After the 1st use of my blowoff tube, I let it soaked in warm soapy water for a day, the rinsed again with warm water then hanged to dry. Once dry, it was stained like &$-&$. I didn't want to use a brush in there so I figured a way to use a small piece of fabric (soaked in sanitizer), a fishing float and fishing wire... Then

image-1649599827.jpg

image-297434878.jpg

Then I pulled it a few times in either ways and sprayed sanitizer in there. I guess that's the best I can do!!! Any other ideas?

Brushes in vinyl tubes could result in scratches?

I've been using one for years on my blow-off tubes and see no evidence of same, but ok, let's stipulate that a soft nylon brush could scratch a vinyl blow-off tube.

Then what?

I soak my blow-off hoses in Star-San for the entire time I'm brewing a batch, so like four hours exposed to something that works in 30 seconds. And there have been dozens of times that enough foam ran up the arc of a blow-off and dripped back down into the carboy over the years - yet I've never had an infected batch [knock wood].

The 1" tube brush works great to take the film left from fermentation off the inside of the blow-off tubes so they're clean and ready for the next batch. I see no problems using the brush...

Cheers!

i don't see how scratching the inside of a blowoff tube could hurt anything. Supposing it does harbor some bacteria - Soak in Starsan so any contamination is minimal - I doubt anything is going to fly its way into your beer - by the time fermentation takes off there will be enough positive pressure to definitely keep it out. After a couple of days you can switch to an airlock anyway.

Latest posts

Back