Cleaning 3/8" tubing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigBrewHawk

Reaction score
How do you guys clean these things? I've been running as much water through them as I can, and fully submerging it in sanitizer, but after it is dry I can still smell homebrew in there. Don't want something this small to ruin a good batch of brew during transfer or bottling. Thanks!

Soak in oxyclean, rinse well, sanitize before using.

Mine are stained and do have a little beer smell to them but I have not had any problems. I will use them a while longer and when I suspect they may cause a problem I will just replace them.

I flush mine well always right after using it- with hot water,and have a soak pan with hot water and usually just baking soda, i then rinse with sanitzer later then hang.Never had a problem.Mine have a haze on them probably from my hard tap water.
You can use pbw also to soak.It cleans scorched pans pretty well with an overnight soak.I dont scorch my beers but the ol GF finace likes to scorce up my small priming sugar pots/steamer(which i use for sparge draining) up prettty often. Not to metion the bottems which somehow majically end up all black even using a glass electric stove.

If you have a bottle jet cleaning attachment for your sink faucet, you can use this to force water through the tubing. This can help a lot (obviously, still clean and sanitize).

Jet nozzle of a garden hose? I use 3/8 for a blow off tube running off my airlock. Just had my first real blow off from my Tripel. So it was on there for days collecting crud. Soaked it overnight in my lme bucket in oxy clean and it's clean as can be

Oh,another thing i just discovered is submerging the tube in a pot of water and using a baster with the other end of the tube and it uses some force to flush back and forth. Keeping the tube in contact with the baster tip-it keeps its suction.I like using the baster to clean the bottleing spigots out,its got some good force.Itscleaning the sampleing baster out as well.
I would have to say ive really never smelled my tubes.

You'll never completely get rid of the smell. If your running hot water thru them and sanitizing you'll be fine

I will use them a while longer and when I suspect they may cause a problem I will just replace them.

This - saying that 3/8" tubing costs practically nothing compared to everything else in this hobby. You could actually afford to buy new tubing for every batch and not feel the dent in your budget.

But..don't do that... :D

Awesome. Thanks! Picked up some OxyClean tonight so I'll give that a shot. My jet bottle washer is too big to fit the tube.

Whatever you do, don't forget and leave them soaking in starsan for over a week. I turned a nice clear slick length of tubing into an opaque grey and slightly sticky tube that way, guess the acid can attack it if you give it enough time. :/

Back