Cleanest alcohol Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IkiMano

Reaction score
I am interested in making beer with the “cleanest” alcohol content.
Any tips for barley types?
Yeast type?
Temperature of ferment?
I have made more than a few batches but really hate how conjoiners make me feel.
I am fond of lower alcohol highly hopped types.
Thank you

Yeast type?
Temperature of ferment?
I have made more than a few batches but really hate how conjoiners make me feel.
Thank you

If your goal is to avoid hangovers then beer isn't your drink. It has high volume compared to spirits which means that it sits in your stomach longer causing irritation, it contains acetaldehyde naturally which is a contributor to hangovers, and it generally contains some level of fusel alcohols.

That said, I have gotten worse hangovers or hangovers from only minor consumption when drinking homebrewed beers that were not fermented well, meaning they had higher (tastable) levels of fusels and acetaldehyde. So oxygenated, pitch a high cell count, and control temperature.

Speaking as someone who historically ALWAYS got 5-alarm, "in bed until 3pm the next day", puking my guts out hangovers:
The only way to really avoid a hangover is to not binge drink. I have just learned as I aged to not go so hard and I learned when to switch to water.

If you're going to drink and want to take steps to avoid a hangover, then switch to water 3-4 hours before bed, drink clear alcohol like gin and tonics, and the I take ibuprofen before bed, and again when I wake up, but I won't recommend a medication to anyone since I'm not a doctor and I don't know your present medical status, so talk to your doc before that last one.

Aware of all this is why I am looking for tips making the “cleanest” beer. Clean low alcohol beer does not bother me. I’ll binge if I want too!

Yeast type?
Temperature of ferment?
Thank you

What do you mean by cleanest alcohol content?

Pitch enough (healthy) yeast, ferment at appropriate temperature for yeast, allow yeast to settle out before bottling or kegging and you get a better tasting, "cleaner" beer.
Could you post one of your previous recipes that gave you unwanted byproducts and hangovers? That might help us out to dial in your process and help more specifically.

Yes low alcohol and “clean” alcohol
The yeast chart is very helpful.
Thank you BruceH

I’ve been reading a lot about Kviek. Supposed to brew “clean” with no fusels at any temp. I am going to pitch a batch tomorrow at 95 deg and let it ferment outside at 80 deg ambient temps during the day with high 60’s at night.

I’ve been reading a lot about Kviek. Supposed to brew “clean” with no fusels at any temp. I am going to pitch a batch tomorrow at 95 deg and let it ferment outside at 80 deg ambient temps during the day with high 60’s at night.
I will look it up! Thank you

Clean alcohol, conjoiners, "don't like how it makes me feel", yep pretty much sounds like he just wants a pilsner with no other goals
Pilsner with a bit more body and about 3 times the hops! Perfect 👌

I have an award winning BJCP 1A at 3.5% and 103 calories that you could drink it forever without any issues other than spending half the time relieving yourself.

Least conjoiners, Fusel alcohols, aldehydes etc.

That is what I thought, but wanted to be sure that is what you meant. Because what you really mean is how do you ferment well. It's not about 'clean' alcohol. That is an odd phrase. No beer should have perceptible fusels, for example. If it does, you brewed a bad beer.

See the advice others have given you regarding fermentation above. Read the book Yeast.

The "fusel alcohols give you a hangover" thing is just another myth. If you're too hung over in the morning you should drink lighter beer and/or drink less. Ask any medical professional for confirmation.

The "fusel alcohols give you a hangover" thing is just another myth. If you're too hung over in the morning you should drink lighter beer and/or drink less. Ask any medical professional for confirmation.

My understanding is there are a lot of contributing factors that go into a hangover that medicine doesn’t really have an answer to. It is known that ethyl alcohol is well tolerated by the system in moderation. Other alcohols requires extra steps to break down and process.

That is correct but on the other hand fusel alcohols are only present at PPM levels, whereas the negative effects of 4 to 12% ethyl alcohol are well understood and extensively documented. Persistent migraines are among the well-known side effects of ethyl alcohol intoxication.

All I know if it’s some fruity Christmas ale I can have 1 maybe 2
If it’s Pilsner Urquell or the like can have 5-6
Only thing is I want more hops.

My understanding (but I might be wrong) is that you would want a yeast that ferments at the lowest possible temperature which you can reliably reach and control in your setup, to get the fewest higher alcohols, esters, ketones and some other compounds. I think this would most likely be a lager yeast, but it would be interesting to learn whether there are ale yeasts that can achieve the same goal at higher fermentation temperatures.

I assume that keeping the original gravity of the wort relatively low (in the range suitable for the yeast you pick) also helps with reducing production of unwanted byproducts.

I do not know whether adding darker malts would necessarily increase these unwanted compounds in the final beer, but I assume adding darker malts will always increase the amount of sugars and roast products left in the beer, which I assume (different assumption) you do not want.

So, my recommendation, similar to others above, would be to brew a moderately low gravity lager made with just Pilsner malt, mashed to maximize fermentability, hopped to your preference, and fermented with a lager yeast at low temperatures (optimal for the yeast you pick).

I found this article on flavor compounds in beer online; it seems the full article is available: 'Flavour‐active volatile compounds in beer: production, regulation and control', Error - Cookies Turned Off .

That is correct but on the other hand fusel alcohols are only present at PPM levels, whereas the negative effects of 4 to 12% ethyl alcohol are well understood and extensively documented. Persistent migraines are among the well-known side effects of ethyl alcohol intoxication.

Can you direct me to the documentation where it lists the hangover threshold amounts for fusel alcohols?

My understanding (but I might be wrong) is that you would want a yeast that ferments at the lowest possible temperature which you can reliably reach and control in your setup, to get the fewest higher alcohols, esters, ketones and some other compounds. I think this would most likely be a lager yeast, but it would be interesting to learn whether there are ale yeasts that can achieve the same goal at higher fermentation temperatures.

I assume that keeping the original gravity of the wort relatively low (in the range suitable for the yeast you pick) also helps with reducing production of unwanted byproducts.

I do not know whether adding darker malts would necessarily increase these unwanted compounds in the final beer, but I assume adding darker malts will always increase the amount of sugars and roast products left in the beer, which I assume (different assumption) you do not want.

So, my recommendation, similar to others above, would be to brew a moderately low gravity lager made with just Pilsner malt, mashed to maximize fermentability, hopped to your preference, and fermented with a lager yeast at low temperatures (optimal for the yeast you pick).

I found this article on flavor compounds in beer online; it seems the full article is available: 'Flavour‐active volatile compounds in beer: production, regulation and control', Error - Cookies Turned Off .
Fantastic reply, Thank you

Fermenting under pressure helps. I ferment in 5 gallon keg and shoot for 13psi using a modified pressure relief valve that my son (mathematician) designed. Sometimes an issue with wort coming out the valve, but never had an infection.

So what yeast is best to produce a clean dry lager beer?

Without looking up test results/charts, my tip would be for Saflager S189. It's definitely the most neutral tasting yeast I've ever used. FWIW, I don't suffer too much from hangovers unless there's acetaldehyde. If I have a few beers with noticeable green apple, the hangover the next morning is horrendous - vomiting, can't walk, can't focus, it's kind of like sea sickness.

The poster never said anything about hangovers. He simply wants a low alcohol hoppy beer.

German-style leichtbier or a light Kolsch with a few extra bittering hops done with lager yeast. Fermented at 60F would work fine.
Refrigerate well.
Weyermann malt - if you can get it.
S-189 dry or WLP029. WLP001 will work just fine as an ale yeast in a pinch.

I can only tell you what I experienced vs theory. And over the last 30 years I have read dozens of theories about why hangovers happen.

But the only two times hangovers have been either lessened or eliminated were when I brewed a light lager of 5% or what’s called an “American Lager” or when I drank Skyy Vodka which for some reason doesn’t give me hangovers even if I go over the line. And by that I mean a heavy buzz, not stumbling drunk. Stumbling drunk is a hangover no matter what.

I can only tell you what I experienced vs theory. And over the last 30 years I have read dozens of theories about why hangovers happen.

But the only two times hangovers have been either lessened or eliminated were when I brewed a light lager of 5% or what’s called an “American Lager” or when I drank Skyy Vodka which for some reason doesn’t give me hangovers even if I go over the line. And by that I mean a heavy buzz, not stumbling drunk. Stumbling drunk is a hangover no matter what.
I concur.

Hard liquor fermented too quickly or distilled improperly can leave fusels and other impurities.
Beer is the same.
That's why I ferment cool and sometimes leave my lower ABV beers in primary for almost three weeks. I love Belgian-style ales but avoid the Brulosophy "quick and shoddy" methods with yeasts that tend to produce esters and phenols. Using the right strain of ale/lager yeast can give you some clean-brewed ales that can almost pass for a lager.

To me, when you said a beer with a clean alcohol flavor, the first thing that came to mind was a Belgian strong. Duvel. While it is high in alcohol, because it is so dry, every time I drink them I think, “wow, I can’t believe how much alcohol is in this beer, you can taste it“

I agree with previous comments that are few are complaining about fusel alcohols, that is a sign of a bad fermentation. I also agree that Pilsner’s are probably the cleanest beers overall. But if you want a high alcohol beer, that is easy drinking, I strongly recommend Belgian strong.

One of the things I’ve noted over the years is that “dry” beers not only taste “clean” but also give me less grief the next day.

So aside from a Pilsner or Lager I would say fermenting out all the sugars might also result in a less punishing libation.

Maybe try a small batch with a higher ABV yeast like Wyeast 1388. It will eat all the sugar. Yes, it’s technically not a lager or a Pilsner if you use Belgian Ale yeast but it’s worth a try.

One of the things I’ve noted over the years is that “dry” beers not only taste “clean” but also give me less grief the next day.

So aside from a Pilsner or Lager I would say fermenting out all the sugars might also result in a less punishing libation.

Maybe try a small batch with a higher ABV yeast like Wyeast 1388. It will eat all the sugar. Yes, it’s technically not a lager or a Pilsner if you use Belgian Ale yeast but it’s worth a try.
I had wondered about using distillers turbo yeast. That stuff should eat all the sugars and I would think it would produce little off compounds as it’s designed for distilling. I certainly don’t want to distill it but the quest for the cleanest beer possible is something I will take to the extreme. Cool ferment, pressurized I want to explore all options.

I had wondered about using distillers turbo yeast. That stuff should eat all the sugars and I would think it would produce little off compounds as it’s designed for distilling. I certainly don’t want to distill it but the quest for the cleanest beer possible is something I will take to the extreme. Cool ferment, pressurized I want to explore all options.

Yeah I was going to mention turbo yeast or one of the more “hungry” strains and heck, why not?

But I dunno. It seems like going from 0 to 100 but who knows? It might work fine.

It might also strip all the flavor but it’s hard to say without actually doing it. Turbo yeast is not your grandfather’s yeast! It is very different and it’s main purpose is to convert white sugar into clean alcohol.

Here is an article that talks about the different types:

https://www.artizanspiritz.com/pages/turbo-yeast
Granted, they are trying to sell turbo yeast but it’s informative until they start talking about how THIER yeast is the best yeast. :). Who knows? Maybe it is.

I look forward to hearing results if you decide to go with any of the hungrier strains.

Back