Clean Wort Needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew-boy

Reaction score
Hey guys I been battling this battle for along time now. I get to much break material and trub into my fermenters. I have an angle pipe on my kettle which helps but I still get alot of junk. I use the Jamil's chiller with a pump which I love. The kettle is set to leave one gallon of wort behind on purpose to help leave as much junk as possible. I have tried several times to do a manual whirlpool after chilling but I never get a cone, always a flat layer of crud. I do not rack out of the kettle I open the ball valve and drain and this I want to keep. I have tried the S.S. Scrubby with no luck, it clogs. After chilling I let the kettle sit for 45 mins(Lid on) so the break material and trub will settle to the bottom. This works and I make good beer but I want to improve this setup. Anyone have any ideas which would my my system better?

DSCN0009.jpg
[/IMG]

Maybe try racking while whirlpooling or try a pump driven whirlpool. Or, wait longer for everything to settle out before you start to rack. Like 15 minutes or so.

So you chill with an immersion, whirlpool vigorously, then let it sit for 45 minutes with the lid on, then drain. Is that correct?
I use a CFC, so I whirlpool right after the boil, then let it sit for 20 minutes, then drain, and this is what I get...
first_brewday_032.jpg

Nice clean wort into the fermentors, most of the trub left in the cone in the middle. I do however get the cold break into the fermentors. And, I get every last bit of wort out.

Yes I chill with an immersion chiller but recirculate the wort while chilling A.K.A. Jamil's Chiller.
I do nothing as far as Whirlpool by hand with a spoon if that's what you mean. I have the pump given me a nice flow but not an aggressive flow.

Are you using whirlfloc or irish moss or anything like that?
Also, I'm not familiar with Jamil's method. Does it involve a pump or something?

Brewboy, I have the Jamil set up also but I have a false bottom in my boil kettle. I pump as soon as it is cooled through a double screen into my fermentor and dont get much junk.

Pat

Back