clean/sanitize the night before

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heylookltsme

Reaction score
Hi all -

I was just about to brew for the second time ever tonight. I was finishing up the cleaning / sanitizing part of the process when something came up and now I can't brew tonight. :-(

Is it ok to put plastic wrap on stuff that I sanitized and just leave it until tomorrow? Will that keep everything properly sanitized?

Thanks!

Generally, as long as you can keep air off things, you should be okay.

I sanitize my carboy or corny kegs (when fermenting in them) the night before and put the tops on them.

Edit to add: You don't really need to sanitize your kettle and anything used before the boil anyhow. What are you using to sanitize? If it's StarSan, just put some plastic wrap (spritz'd with sanitizer) over whatever you've already sanitized.

What I'll do is just stick everything in my bucket (if that's what I'll be fermenting in) and snap the lid on for the night. Keeps everything fine until the next day. I almost always sanitize most things the night before. Though you might not want to keep vinyl tubing wet all night if you're using StarSan.. I've read it's not the best idea because it's an acid based cleaner.

I'd sanitize again before brewing tomorrow if I were me. That's one plus to using a spray bottle of starsan for sanitizing. You can just spritz it down tomrrow as you use things. Literally takes seconds.

I'd sanitize again before brewing tomorrow if I were me. That's one plus to using a spray bottle of starsan for sanitizing. You can just spritz it down tomrrow as you use things. Literally takes seconds.

That's my plan for my second batch tomorrow, clean thoroughly and then spritz items with star san and just pour a minimum amount into the fermenter and slosh it around until every surface is wet with it. I went way overboard with the first batch. Of course I don't want to go too far in the opposite direction either!

I use my spray bottle to do the fermenter. Just stick the business end in there and give it a few good pumps (giggity) and that's enough to coat the inside of the fermenter. A little swirl when I empty it out makes sure the shoulder and neck are sanitized.

Back