Clawhammer Supply BIAB Review

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smbdyshero

Reaction score
So I got the Clawhammer System all put together. I did not take too much setup time or technical know-how to put it together. If you run into any snags, just check out their youtube videos on setup for the system and also the element. The system was reading +/- 2 degrees Fahrenheit from what my thermapen read. I did a leak test and everything was good to go. I was not a fan of the plate chiller, but it does the job and is fairly easy to clean. It does not screw apart so cleaning has to be thorough. Below is a timeline of my first brew day with it because everyone wants to know the magical time it took to heat to mash and time to boil.

I brewed a brown ale with 10 lbs of grain, but could easily fit just over 20 lbs of grain with full water volume in the kettle. Grain bill was milled pretty fine and that definitely helped reached 1.050 gravity. I was shooting for 1.056 so I'm not too upset.

I started with 62F water and it took about 50 minutes to an hour to reach 152F for mash temp. To be noted, I do not have the system insulated. I originally planned on going with around 165F or 170F to compensate for the temperature drop from grain, but decided to see how quickly the element would get it back up to 152F. Temps dropped to around 144F and got back to 152F within minutes.

The system held 152F pretty well, with a few fluctuations up to 154F then back down.

Mashing out was easy. I lifted the grain basket and inserted the metal feet myself, but I don't think this would be possible with a larger grain bill. Assistance would definitely be needed. Vorloufed for about 10 minutes with the pump and partially opened ball valve.

It took a little over an hour to get to boil at 208F with the lid on. I reduced power to 75% with the lid on and it was still boiling more vigorously then I expected. I took the lid off and the temperature dropped to around 205F at 75% but I ramped it up to 100% and got it back to 208F fairly quickly. The boil was still rolling but not as vigorously with the lid off. You will notice more condensation and boil off obviously, so take that into consideration when planning recipe and water amounts. I ended up putting the lid back on and there was still a fair amount of steam coming out where the lid meets the hop spider.

The plate chiller performed very well with very cold ground water (I'm in Montana). After finishing up the chilling and pitching the yeast, I now got to see how long it would take to clean up. I need to get better at not spilling wort when removing the quick disconnects to empty out excess wort. I emptied them and reconnected everything, including plate chiller. I ran PBW through everything while cleaning up other random brew day accessories. I dumped the PBW and ran a rinse through the whole system, also reversing lines on the plate chiller. I hate seeing standing water in my kettle no matter how little of an amount, so I pulled off all the hoses and hung them up, unplugged the temperature sensor and unscrewed the TC clamp for the element and took the kettle to my utility sink and sprayed it out real quick. Gave it a quick dry and left everything unattached.

All in all, it took about 5 hours start to finish for the brew day, but a lot of the time waiting for it to reach temps I worked on other projects so it wasn't too bad. I know a lot of guys want a vigorous boil, but I prefer the boil with the system because it will probably never boil over while left unattended. I think after a few more brews and getting everything dialed in I will really enjoy brewing on it.

I'm hoping to get photos of the next brew day, my phone was acting up so I apologize for the lack of photos.

@smbdyshero Just checking in to see how everything ended up and whether or not you have done another brew? Have you insulated the pot yet? I just pulled the trigger and got in on the kick starter campaign for version 2.0. I have read that the insulation really makes a big difference on the heat up times.

Hope all went well.

I have done about 8 brews on it so far. I really love this system. I have an immersion chiller but I'm giving the plate chiller another go. Overall i really can't complain about anything with it. I haven't insulated it yet, and i probably won't, but I don't mind the little extra time i have to wait for mash and boil. If you check out my instagram page you will see that i got a crazy rolling boil and also a near boil over recently. It is hitting 210 and 211 without insulation and I drop it to 75% and it still maintains 208 which is a good boil. I like the oversized control box but for the new price I wouldn't mind that system either.

I have been looking at getting the 2.0. Currently I am a stovetop warrior doing extract but this sytem seems to be price-competitive and based on this thread I think this is the direction I will head for the BIAB switch. I will probably insulate the kettle to cut the time down a bit though the heat-up time really doesn't bother me all that much.

@smbdyshero +1 Thanks for posting this and please keep us updated as I could not find too many reviews of this product that are as detailed and practical as yours.

...Currently I am a stovetop warrior doing extract but this sytem seems to be price-competitive and based on this thread I think this is the direction I will head for the BIAB switch...

If you are currently brewing extract, a good quality bag is probably all you need for making the switch to BIAB. That will give you an opportunity to experience all grain brewing, before you decide if you want or need to invest more in a "system".

If you are going to switch to BIAB, make getting your own grain mill one of your highest priorities.

If you are currently brewing extract, a good quality bag is probably all you need for making the switch to BIAB. That will give you an opportunity to experience all grain brewing, before you decide if you want or need to invest more in a "system".

If you are going to switch to BIAB, make getting your own grain mill one of your highest priorities.

+1 Yeah I think before I pull the trigger I will definitely try what you are describing, just getting a quality bag and trying a few runs like that with the gear I have now. I have seen a lot of AG guys stress that grain mill/crush becomes very important once you leave the DME-only life behind. I have literally operated a grain mill once for some steeping grains at my LHBS so that is another area I will have to get comfortable with. That being said there is probably a cold-side investment in my future before I grab a turn-key BIAB (ferm fridge).

But this setup looks so appealing for someone like me who doesn't fab anything or have engineering experience and is essentially a tech-idiot that part of me is like "enter your CC information, get on that pre-order". But unlike most of the time a cooler head will prevail. It is only pre-order right now anyway so no worries if I brew a couple "ghetto" BIAB recipes and then see if I want to make the investment in the next month or two. From what I have seen from my beer versus others BIAB will be a compromise between quality brewing and dropping thousands on crazy AG rigs.

...grain mill ... another area I will have to get comfortable with. That being said there is probably a cold-side investment in my future before I grab a turn-key BIAB (ferm fridge).

Grain mills are easy, with minimal setup and adjustment required. If you can brew extract beer you won't have a problem with a mill. I think the Cereal Killer is the best value going ($99 including a base plate and shipping). If you want to motorize it, this drill has the gearing needed for low speed & high torque.

Good call on making fermentation temp control your highest priority.

But this setup looks so appealing for someone like me who doesn't fab anything or have engineering experience and is essentially a tech-idiot ... brew a couple "ghetto" BIAB recipes and then see if I want to make the investment....

The core of my brew rig consist of a burner, a pot with a drain valve, and a Wilser bag.

I get 80+% efficiency, my beers taste great, and I really enjoy my brew days. I don't have problems with controllers or pumps because I don't use them, I don't have stuck sparges because I don't sparge. Cleanup is simple and quick.

...From what I have seen from my beer versus others BIAB will be a compromise between quality brewing and dropping thousands on crazy AG rigs.

I see what you are saying, though I can't say I agree about it being a compromise. Skillfully brewed BIAB beer is as good as any other.

I see what you are saying, though I can't say I agree about it being a compromise. Skillfully brewed BIAB beer is as good as any other.

Sorry didn't mean to offend, I meant compromise in cost not quality between cheap extract brewing and the huge investment AG setups I see all over the place. I have no doubt a well thought-out BIAB system can yield just as good results as other AG and agree with your premise that high-quality beer can be done this way.

I wasn't offended, at all. Thank you for the thoughtfulness of your reply.

There seems to be a view among many brewers that more complicated systems are somehow inherently "better". But they don't necessarily make better beer, nor do they necessarily make for a better brewing experience.

Your description of yourself makes me think you would enjoy the elegant simplicity of BIAB. Simple BIAB without the pumps, controllers, etc. It really is a joy.

After looking around at options a bunch more I am going to put in an order for this setup next week, will review after a brew day or two so people looking around have some more insights.

I've been looking heavily at their 2.0 system for a couple months. Glad you got a system that works well for you. I'm hoping to have the money to buy one in a couple months.

After brewing close to 50 brews on this system now, there is nothing I would change with it. The SS mesh basket and hop spider work great but they do show some wear after quite a few brew days which is to be expected. I haven't had to replace or repair anything on it yet and it still works flawlessly. For the price you can't beat it. I really like that if and when something does break, nothing is proprietary so i can order it from damn near anywhere on the internet. They're 2.0 version looks great too. Especially at that price point. These are some great guys to work with, and their customer service is amazing. I don't regret one thing about this purchase. I do add about a pound more grain to offset the efficiency aspect, but to me that is not a big deal. I buy grain in bulk from local breweries and grind myself. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask and i will try my best to answer them

Would it be possible to run this on a stove top (mine is NG) to get to temps faster?
I have heard of guys doing this, or also using the electric element with an induction unit as well to get up to temps quicker. I don't see a problem with it.

After looking around at options a bunch more I am going to put in an order for this setup next week, will review after a brew day or two so people looking around have some more insights.
I started with extract, then quickly moved to a simple BIAB system. This system, although it has a pump and controller, feels very simple to use. I absolutely love not having to gravity feed anything anymore. I recirculate during mash and pump through the wort cool. I use the pump for so much now I can't imagine not having it.

After brewing close to 50 brews on this system now, there is nothing I would change with it. The SS mesh basket and hop spider work great but they do show some wear after quite a few brew days which is to be expected. I haven't had to replace or repair anything on it yet and it still works flawlessly. For the price you can't beat it. I really like that if and when something does break, nothing is proprietary so i can order it from damn near anywhere on the internet. They're 2.0 version looks great too. Especially at that price point. These are some great guys to work with, and their customer service is amazing. I don't regret one thing about this purchase. I do add about a pound more grain to offset the efficiency aspect, but to me that is not a big deal. I buy grain in bulk from local breweries and grind myself. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask and i will try my best to answer them

I am glad the unit is working so well for you. I am excited for my 2.0 to ship (the sites says shipping units in July). It is funny that I could do another extract batch or two but with this coming in the near future better to keep reading, bulk buying ingredients, and chomping at the bit to get a chance to make some good beer on this bad boy. I have already spoiled myself by ordering this new toy.

One question, are you able to cool your wort to pitching temps with one pass through the plate chiller? I see you mentioned it in your process only briefly so I assume you had no issue with one pass? I have been thinking about options if I find I can't cool in one pass (aquarium pump and ice in a large tub to chill and recirc coooling water etc.). I think the only mod I will make out-of-the-box is to insulate to kettle, I'm not crazy strapped for time ( I usually brew on Saturdays) but if a layer of insulation will give me back some time for mash and boil I think it is likely worthwhile.

I am glad the unit is working so well for you. I am excited for my 2.0 to ship (the sites says shipping units in July). It is funny that I could do another extract batch or two but with this coming in the near future better to keep reading, bulk buying ingredients, and chomping at the bit to get a chance to make some good beer on this bad boy. I have already spoiled myself by ordering this new toy.

One question, are you able to cool your wort to pitching temps with one pass through the plate chiller? I see you mentioned it in your process only briefly so I assume you had no issue with one pass? I have been thinking about options if I find I can't cool in one pass (aquarium pump and ice in a large tub to chill and recirc coooling water etc.). I think the only mod I will make out-of-the-box is to insulate to kettle, I'm not crazy strapped for time ( I usually brew on Saturdays) but if a layer of insulation will give me back some time for mash and boil I think it is likely worthwhile.

It is possible to do it in one pass if you set the output flow on the pump to flow very slowl, i usually recirculate with a tube going back into the kettle and have the pump flow set to wide open until i reach about 150 or so. then the wort is about 65-70 coming out of the plate chiller and I don't have to regulate the flow from the pump. I feel like it drops the temps a lot more efficiently that way and you don't have a lot of wort sitting at near boiling temps while you slowly chill what little is going through the chiller. You drop the temp of the whole kettle of wort to the same temperature roughly before cooling it even more on the final pass. This takes about 10 minutes to drop it low enough that I can move the output tube to the fermenter. In fact, I am brewing right now, so I will let you know exactly how long it takes me in about an hour.

Great review. I have been toying with getting this system for a while. I have been in contact with them recently about their upcoming 240v version and am holding off for that

Just to update.

I pre-ordered the 120v eBIAB 2.0 from Clawhammer about a month ago. Since the site lists the units to start shipping "End of July" and I haven't gotten an email confirmation from them after work I will be reaching out for an update. I am chomping at the bit to get this thing and get back to brewing and will update with their response. Customer Service is big for me so now we will see how together their shiz is.

Just to update.

I pre-ordered the 120v eBIAB 2.0 from Clawhammer about a month ago. Since the site lists the units to start shipping "End of July" and I haven't gotten an email confirmation from them after work I will be reaching out for an update. I am chomping at the bit to get this thing and get back to brewing and will update with their response. Customer Service is big for me so now we will see how together their shiz is.

I just ordered mine last Friday and haven't received any shipping info or projected ship dates yet either. I was going to shoot them an email tonight and I will also update when I hear something.

I sent them an email this morning and received a prompt response. They are shipping earlier orders now and hoped to have mine shipping by the end of the week

Nice that makes me happy. they hadn't responded to my email by last night, I assume when I check there will be a response in there after hearing this. Just want to start brewing on this thing finally.

Just checked no reply yet.

Last edited:
Mine is in and I have got two brews completed!! Liking this thing a lot!!
IMG_3505.jpg

Last edited:
@Andrew Hodgson Yes that is the new bench and its a BEAST. You know I am not sure if the insulation helps or not to be honest as I did it prior to ever heating up water. I figured it couldn't hurt and would protect the pot from getting scratched up. I really needed the pulley set up on this brew as it was a big stout (16 lb grain bill) and I didn't want to pull an "Emmet" and spill hot wort everywhere ;). Doing two more brews this weekend to fill up the fermentation chamber I just built along with the new bench.

Man I am jealous. I'll be doing the same once I get mine, gotta get the pipeline up and going again. Nice that it worked slick for even such a large grain bill.

And yes Emmet's videos are both informative on using the system AND how not to use the system. Pretty funny stuff usually.

Cheers:mug:

Oh yeah I'll make sure she is all set to rip before I start. Hopefully I'll have everything else in my life squared away so next weekend I can tinker around make sure the setup is dialed in and source grain etc. No more extract brewing for me.

So this weekend I finally had time to assemble the system. First time using a lot of this stuff pumps,teflon tape, wiring an element etc. I was super excited to get all the components pieced together and it came time for the auto tuning/water test. Filled the kettle with 8 gallons of water and started the heater and pump. While visually inspecting the connections for leaks I found a pinhole in the TC element port that was leaking. Needless to say I was pretty disappointed.

I will be emailing them today to get the info on sending the kettle back so they can fix the one I got or give me a new one.

TLDR they didn't water test my kettle.

Last edited:
I found this which I think solves my issue with using the plate chiller in the cold months.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GP9G860/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

1) Unscrew sprayer head from sprayer hose.
2) Screw that adaptor in to hose.
3) Screw garden hose into adatpro for water in connection.
4) I will run another short hose for the water out.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Andrew Hodgson Man am I glad you brought this up! I hadn't even given it a thought until I saw your post. I just so happens that I am in the market for a new kitchen faucet. I need to see if one of the new models still have the screw on aeration fitting to I can adapt a hose fitting when needed.

@Andrew Hodgson Man am I glad you brought this up! I hadn't even given it a thought until I saw your post. I just so happens that I am in the market for a new kitchen faucet. I need to see if one of the new models still have the screw on aeration fitting to I can adapt a hose fitting when needed.

Yeah its good to think about ahead of time. MY sink faucet is awful I can't connect anything to it it has a kind of flared nozzle. And I can't mess around underneath the garbage disposal blocks everything so I am going to have to run hose sprayer > chiller > out in the winter. For now I will just hook up the water in from the outside hose but it is something I hadntt considered until a little while ago.

Last edited:
Back