Classic Tunes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I was very young, 7 or 8, early 1970's, I "helped" my dad paint the front porch of our gigantic house that was built in 1902.

Air conditioning didn't exist in 1902 and nearly 70 years later that hadn't changed. Midwest summers get extremely hot so in the evenings people sat on the front porch until the house cooled down enough to sleep. This was common in my small town. While sitting out there people would walk past the house and say hello, or might even walk up to the porch and chit chat..

The song Sitting by the Dock of the Bay, by Otis Redding played while Dad and I painted the porch one fall. This song and the smell of oil based paint and turpentine always brings me back to that special time with my Dad. My folks both passed away over a decade ago, they were way to young and I still miss them everyday.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I was very young, 7 or 8, early 1970's, I "helped" my dad paint the front porch of our gigantic house that was built in 1902.

Air conditioning didn't exist in 1902 and nearly 70 years later that hadn't changed. Midwest summers get extremely hot so in the evenings people sat on the front porch until the house cooled down enough to sleep. This was common in my small town. While sitting out there people would walk past the house and say hello, or might even walk up to the porch and chit chat..

The song Sitting by the Dock of the Bay, by Otis Redding played while Dad and I painted the porch one fall. This song and the smell of oil based paint always brings me back to that special time with my Dad. My folks both passed away over a decade ago, they were way to young and I still miss them everyday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrb1TCQwxXA

Great story to go along with a great tune. Thanks for sharing!

Some Zep for ya this evening

Maybe if that Mozart guy would have put some more time into his craft, more people would remember him today. Lazy.

:off: Did he discover the brown note?

That reminds me... Here's another classic:

Back