Classic rookie mistake - did I ruin my first batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjens19

Reaction score
Pretty sure I'll be flamed for this post, but I'll consider it my first lesson learned. I got a beginner's kit from my local HB store and it came with a bottle of Iodophor and a tub of B-brite. I think I screwed up by cleaning my equipment (brewpot, fermenter bucket, thermometer, airlock, etc) with a solution of B-brite, and not the Iodophor. I should have taken the time to do proper research and then I would have found out that B-brite is a cleanser (better used for cleaning bottles and equipment after brewing/bottling), and Iodophor is a sanitizer like Starsan, that can be mixed in a spray bottle and should be used to sanitize equipment prior to brewing/bottling. I have a pit in my stomach and I think I may have bogarted my first brew. Do I even want to risk finishing this batch? It's at 90* now so it's ready for yeast, but I'm afraid that since I didn't use the Iodophor like an idiot, it's going to get infected.

Rookie mistake. And here I told myself for weeks that I wasn't going to do anything stupid to ruin my first batch. :(

The yeast that came with my All malt Amber kit from True Brew. Instructions said to cool wort to 90 degrees or lower, add yeast. Wait 10 minutes, stir once or twice, then slap on the lid. I was just worried that I didn't sanitize the fermenter with Iodophor, but cleaned it with b-brite. Is that OK?

I've now got a spray bottle with Iodophor and water. It's a light amber color. Am I OK to spray fermenter lid and airlock with this, and just let it be? I've read that a little Iodophor or starsan into the beer won't hurt anything. But if I'm screwed by not sanitizing fermenter with Iodophor, then I'll just have to dump this out and try again tomorrow with a fresh batch :(

Thanks.

I would let it cool more before pitching yeast. Like 70 degrees or less if possible assuming it's an ale.

I used only One Step for my first 5-6 batches (no separate sanitizer) and had zero infections. It would be better to use sanitizer but I wouldn't dump a batch just because you didn't. Mostly likely if you cleaned everything well it will turn out fine (especially with all new equipment).

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I would let it cool more before pitching yeast. Like 70 degrees or less if possible assuming it's an ale.

I used only One Step for my first 5-6 batches (no separate sanitizer) and had zero infections. It would be better to use sanitizer but I wouldn't dump a batch just because you didn't. Mostly likely if you cleaned everything well it will turn out fine (especially with all new equipment).

70 degrees?! Damn! I'd probably want to get a wort chiller for my future batches then. But these instructions said 90 so I'm hoping that I'm safe. Just pitched it at around 88.

How does one tell if a batch is infected?

Thanks

if you do that not using Iodophor with not be a big issue, fermenting hot on the other hand will be

all the best

S_M

So even though these instructions said 90, I still may have issues? Should I wait until it's a little lower before closing the lid and airlocking? Or is it too late since I've already pitched? Ughh that would be disappointing if these instructions steered me wrong, but I don't think they would.

Thanks for all the snappy replies. You guys are stellar

I wouldn't worry about not sanitizing the fermenter if it's new and you cleaned it well right before filling it. That is incredibly warm to pitch yeast at. At the risk of making a blanket statement you probably want to chill to the mid 60's before pitching. I would be more worried about that.

Almost Famous Brewing Company

Pretty sure I'll be flamed for this post, but I'll consider it my first lesson learned. I got a beginner's kit from my local HB store and it came with a bottle of Iodophor and a tub of B-brite. I think I screwed up by cleaning my equipment (brewpot, fermenter bucket, thermometer, airlock, etc) with a solution of B-brite, and not the Iodophor. I should have taken the time to do proper research and then I would have found out that B-brite is a cleanser (better used for cleaning bottles and equipment after brewing/bottling), and Iodophor is a sanitizer like Starsan, that can be mixed in a spray bottle and should be used to sanitize equipment prior to brewing/bottling. I have a pit in my stomach and I think I may have bogarted my first brew. Do I even want to risk finishing this batch? It's at 90* now so it's ready for yeast, but I'm afraid that since I didn't use the Iodophor like an idiot, it's going to get infected.

Rookie mistake. And here I told myself for weeks that I wasn't going to do anything stupid to ruin my first batch. :(

All else aside- sanitize your fermenter, bung, and airlock. 90f is much too high for pitching your yeast 65-68 is more ideal. Also, how are you planning to contr the temp
During fermentation ? You need to keep it at. 66-68 ideally.

So even though these instructions said 90, I still may have issues? Should I wait until it's a little lower before closing the lid and airlocking? Or is it too late since I've already pitched? Ughh that would be disappointing if these instructions steered me wrong, but I don't think they would.

Thanks for all the snappy replies. You guys are stellar

if it is an ale yeast 64 - 65 is a good place to be if you can cool it down I would

and the try to keep it in the 64-65 degree range and you will be much happier in the end

all the best

S_M

Do you have somewhere cooler to store your fermenter? It's usually best to pitch at a cooler temp but you can still get the temp down before fermentation really takes off.

My low budget solution is a big tub filled with water that I leave my fermenter in. It keeps the temp more constant and if I want to get the temp down I can add frozen water bottles to the tub. Search for swamp cooler on hbt for more examples.

My original kit for my 1st brew back when, just came with a tub of B-Brite, so that's what I used. No infection, and I'm willing to bet you won't either.
But do your best to keep that fermentation temp in the low-mid 60's in the 1st 2-3 days, or you'll be liable to be generating some off-flavors you won't be happy with.
Plus increasing the chances for a big blowoff.
Good Luck! You made beer and that's always a good thing! :mug:

All else aside- sanitize your fermenter, bung, and airlock. 90f is much too high for pitching your yeast 65-68 is more ideal. Also, how are you planning to contr the temp

Ughhh. I was just following the instructions. It says 90 or less.

I'm keeping fermenter in our laundry room on our main level which is always around 66-68.

What problems will I have by pitching that warm?? Would the instructions really steer me that poorly? My local HB shop seems pretty legit and most of their All malt kits are from True Brew. Now I'm really regretting not getting on these boards prior to my first batch.

First world problems...

My original kit for my 1st brew back when, just came with a tub of B-Brite, so that's what I used. No infection, and I'm willing to bet you won't either.
But do your best to keep that fermentation temp in the low-mid 60's in the 1st 2-3 days, or you'll be liable to be generating some off-flavors you won't be happy with.
Plus increasing the chances for a big blowoff.
Good Luck! You made beer and that's always a good thing! :mug:

I'm thinking now about moving it upstairs to one of our bathrooms that has a tub and letting it sit in cold water to get the temp down. But I won't be able to measure temp now that the lid is on, will I?

I did use some FermCapS during boil, and before pitch, so hopefully a blowoff won't be in my future.

Thanks for the tips everyone.

You could get a little stick on strip thermometer to give you an idea of temps. Pitching at upper 80's can't be beneficial to the yeast so I'm guessing a blow off won't be necessary and also guessing you'll have a very delayed start to fermentation.

What problems will I have by pitching that warm??

the problem is fermenting hot as you will get off flavors

tastes like butter, tastes like nail polish etc.

but it will be beer maybe not the beer you had been trying to make

but you stated in you first post about doing research that is what you needed to do

this forum has lots and lots of great info

all the best

S_M

Ah, didn't think of a stick-on thermometer strip, great idea.

I've got a round plastic tub (similar to what a party keg would go into for icing) that I'm thinking of using. And then just icing around it until I get it down to the right temp.

Looks like wal-mart may sell the thermometer strips. Thinking of heading there now.

We laud sanitation because its something that is so easy to control, but not doing so is not going to without fail ruin your beer. Remember people have been making beer for 1000's of years idophor and starsan are pretty new inventions.

Pitching at a temperature that is not ideal can stress or even kill your yeast, if its bubbling then you did not kill them. When stressed they can produce off flavors or the fermentation might be ineffecient. If the kit said 90, then the strain is probably kinda hardy and should still be alive.

Nothing you did will without fail ruin the beer, I've never made anything I wouldn't drink. Some of the batches where I was sure I screwed up have been my better ones and on the flip side some that I thought I did every possible step perfectly have wound up so-so.

If you're getting bubbles in your airlock just wait it out, it'll probably be something that's drinkable.

And just fyi the airlock might not start bubbling for a day or 2 even under perfect conditions so don't panic if it has not started when you wake up tomorrow.

We laud sanitation because its something that is so easy to control, but not doing so is not going to without fail ruin your beer. Remember people have been making beer for 1000's of years idophor and starsan are pretty new inventions.

Pitching at a temperature that is not ideal can stress or even kill your yeast, if its bubbling then you did not kill them. When stressed they can produce off flavors or the fermentation might be ineffecient. If the kit said 90, then the strain is probably kinda hardy and should still be alive.

Nothing you did will without fail ruin the beer, I've never made anything I wouldn't drink. Some of the batches where I was sure I screwed up have been my better ones and on the flip side some that I thought I did every possible step perfectly have wound up so-so.

If you're getting bubbles in your airlock just wait it out, it'll probably be something that's drinkable.

Thanks man. How long before the airlock will bubble? Kit said over the next 24 hours.

I'm going to put it in a keg tub, slap on a stick-on thermometer to my fermenter bucket, and ice it until it's down to 65. If I can get it that cool before fermentation kicks in, hopefully I'll be alright. But yeah, if it was too warm when I pitched, maybe it's already too late. I guess we'll see.

Thanks man. How long before the airlock will bubble? Kit said over the next 24 hours.

I'm going to put it in a keg tub, slap on a stick-on thermometer to my fermenter bucket, and ice it until it's down to 65. If I can get it that cool before fermentation kicks in, hopefully I'll be alright. But yeah, if it was too warm when I pitched, maybe it's already too late. I guess we'll see.

if you can and you can cool it down before it really gets going it should be OK

don't get too cold

as far as the airlock bubbling that does not mean all that much, to know what is happening you need to take hydrometer reading

but wait a week for that

all the best you will be fine :)

S_M

Any cause for concern if the water in my airlock has dropped like an inch below the fill line? I've moved the fermenter around a little but i don't think enough to have water go back up into the hole to get into the fermenter.

Just bought a stick-on fermometer from Amazon to slap on my fermenter bucket. Won't have it in time for this batch, but I'm hoping a few bags of ice in a keg bucket will get it cooled down quick enough.

Thanks to everyone for the helpful replies. Very excited to begin this journey.

I would just top it off back to the fill line the small amount of water that got suck in (if thats what happened) probably won't hurt, try not to make a habit of it though. I used to be so paranoid about contamination that I used vodka in my airlock instead of water; in hindsight it was a bit overboard.

I'm not a yeast expert but not sure what yeast strain you would be pitching at 90. Guessing that will put major stress on the yeast and it will be slow to get started and maybe kill some off. His airlock isn't bubbling as he just pitched. If you had a do-over I would have delayed pitching until your temp was significantly lower. Kit instructions frequently suck.

What kind of beer is this?

I would just top it off back to the fill line the small amount of water that got suck in (if thats what happened) probably won't hurt, try not to make a habit of it though. I used to be so paranoid about contamination that I used vodka in my airlock instead of water; in hindsight it was a bit overboard.

Ah, false alarm I think! The water level in the outside part of the airlock cup went down, but it actually moved to inside the cap that fits around the hole. Does that make sense? I'm probably butchering these terms. So, I don't think any actually went inside the bucket, but it definitely got sucked up a little bit. Because science.

I'm not a yeast expert but not sure what yeast strain you would be pitching at 90. Guessing that will put major stress on the yeast and it will be slow to get started and maybe kill some off. His airlock isn't bubbling as he just pitched. If you had a do-over I would have delayed pitching until your temp was significantly lower. Kit instructions frequently suck.

What kind of beer is this?

That's a huge bummer that this recipe kit I got would have led me that far astray. It's an All Malt Amber from True Brew. I'll be mentioning this to the guys that work at the homebrew shop when I go back in next week to get a hydrometer and a longer metal spoon. Here's the exact instructions from the recipe kit:
"Allow the warm mixture (it's now unfermented beer, called wort) to cool if necessary, until it's under 90 degree F.
*Sprinkle the yeast over the top of the mixture. Wait 10 minutes and stir the yeast gently into the wort with 1 or 2 strokes of the spoon.

This will surely be the last time I pitch at such a warm temp. Maybe it's a shady marketing campaign from True Brew. "Pitch at 90 degrees, so you'll have to come buy another kit the next day to do it all over again". Quite the money-maker
:)

I don't think it's uncommon for kit instructions to suck so not just a single vendor. It will still be beer and we all started with the same knowledge level so use it as a learning experience. Always something to learn which is part of the allure of brewing. Next you will be antsy about when bubbles will show up in airlock. ;)

Man, now I'm also reading that it's not good to add your LME until flameout (which I take to mean as just at the end of boil)? But these instructions had me add it just as my initial 1.5 gal of water got to a boil. It didn't scorch or burn, so I'm not sure if it will end up being a mistake, but dang, these instructions seem SHADY! It also says to bottle after just a week. That seems very soon! I'm going to get a hydrometer next week. That way I can bottle when the proper FG has been reached. Did I mess up by not taking an OG reading? The kit didn't come with a hydrometer like I assumed it would.

With an OG reading you can see how close you got to what recipe called for and you can use OG and FG to determine ABV. Not a huge deal that you forgot. Yes get the hydrometer so u can tell when it's done. Generally you wait a week and check gravity then wait a couple days and check it again. If the readings are the same the beer is done if not wait a few days and check again. It's done when it's done.

With an OG reading you can see how close you got to what recipe called for and you can use OG and FG to determine ABV. Not a huge deal that you forgot. Yes get the hydrometer so u can tell when it's done. Generally you wait a week and check gravity then wait a couple days and check it again. If the readings are the same the beer is done if not wait a few days and check again. It's done when it's done.

So it won't hurt to pop open the fermenter to steal a bit of beer to check gravity? Is there a rule of thumb as to the max amount of time to keep lid off?

Gotcha, so I'll check gravity next Sunday. And then maybe wednesday test again. If the reading is the same, proceed to bottling? If it dropped a little, then maybe test again Friday?

Thanks man

Try to keep fermenter covered as much as possible. Removing lid to withdraw beer for a gravity sample is fine. I'd wait a week before checking it the first time.

I have a wine thief that I spray down with starsan and it usually takes removing beer twice to fill up hydrometer cup so the airlock on my carboy is off a couple minutes maybe...no biggie. Once hydro cup has enough beer I let it set and get carboy sealed up again.

Well I've had some ice in the keg tub now for about an hour. Is it safe to just leave that in there and let it melt tonight? Will that get it too cold? Once it's melted it should get to room temp and stay there, but I don't want to get it too cold. Man, there's really a lot to this! I love it! I'm not expecting a drinkable first batch after following these crappy instructions. But 30 bucks for a learning experience isn't too bad. Maybe by batch 3 or 4 I'll have it down enough to make a decent brew ;)

Thanks all. Appreciate the tips.

I doubt it will get too cold so good to leave it. I don't have firsthand experience but if you search swamp cooler or some key words you'll see some people ferment in a tub with a wet towel wrapped around fermenter to control temps.

You're giving good rule of thumb advice as though it's iron-clad instructions. It isn't.... you may or may not be right, depending on what yeast they gave him.

I use a lot of Belle Saison dry yeast, from Danstar. Here's a quote straight from their Product Technical Data Sheet: "Sprinkle yeast on surface of 10 times its weight of clean sterilized (boiled) tap water at 30-35°C (86-92°F).

"Do not use wort, or distilled or reverse osmosis water, as loss in viability may result. GENTLY break any clumps to ensure that all yeast is in contact with rehydration medium. DO NOT STIR.

"Leave undisturbed for 15 minutes then suspend yeast completely and leave it for 5 more minutes at 30-35°C (86-92°F). Then adjust temperature to wort and inoculate without delay."

They go on to say that if your wort is cooler than the rehydrated yeast, you need to temper the yeast with wort to bring it within 10*C before pitching...

The award-winning Shipwrecked Saison recipe by Channel66 calls for WY 3726, and he gives these instructions: "Pitch the starter at 70f. Wait for fermentation to begin then start ramping the temperature upwards to 90f. Hold here for the remainder of fermentation.

If bulk aging bring the temp back down to ambient slowly. Allow to age in a dark room."

Oh man i didnt even realize until now that the tub i have is in fact a swamp cooler. Haha. My wife has used it as a laundry basket for years. So thats currently what my fermenter is sitting in with a 20lb bag of ice around it.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I too am very new to this. C , keep,at it you,will do great! To,all the others out there , I just finished an IPA from true brew as well. Pitched my yeast after mixing it with cold water hope this is ok . As far as in fiction goes , how will I know? I let. My beer cool naturally with a lid on for a while. Is not advised?

You're giving good rule of thumb advice as though it's iron-clad instructions. It isn't.... you may or may not be right, depending on what yeast they gave him.

I use a lot of Belle Saison dry yeast, from Danstar. Here's a quote straight from their Product Technical Data Sheet: "Sprinkle yeast on surface of 10 times its weight of clean sterilized (boiled) tap water at 30-35°C (86-92°F).

"Do not use wort, or distilled or reverse osmosis water, as loss in viability may result. GENTLY break any clumps to ensure that all yeast is in contact with rehydration medium. DO NOT STIR.

"Leave undisturbed for 15 minutes then suspend yeast completely and leave it for 5 more minutes at 30-35°C (86-92°F). Then adjust temperature to wort and inoculate without delay."

They go on to say that if your wort is cooler than the rehydrated yeast, you need to temper the yeast with wort to bring it within 10*C before pitching...

The award-winning Shipwrecked Saison recipe by Channel66 calls for WY 3726, and he gives these instructions: "Pitch the starter at 70f. Wait for fermentation to begin then start ramping the temperature upwards to 90f. Hold here for the remainder of fermentation.

If bulk aging bring the temp back down to ambient slowly. Allow to age in a dark room."

Whats the best way to monitor temp without opening the fermenter? Ive got an adhesive fermometer on order from amazon that i was hoping to stick on the fermenter at about the 4 gallon mark. Will that be accurate enough? Im envisioning the type of stick-on thermometer I used to have on my fishtank. But im guessing the plastic bucket will prevent the reading from being very accurate. Are there better ways?

Back