Oatmeal Stout Classic Oatmeal Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm tasting my first bottle of this recipe on my latest batch and I'm extremely happy with it. I made 5 gallons of this last year and it was a home run then as well. I will make 10 gallons next time. I highly recommend this one.

Have brewed this twice since last spring. Both came out good and were well received. I did try a similar brew at a local microbrewery. Chatting with the brewmaster over a pint I learned that he uses a very similar recipe but with an ounce of Warrior for the boil an ounce of Willamette to finish. Haven't made any since but its a wrinkle I plan to try.

When you guys add chocolate to this, is that in the boil? Fermenter? Post main ferment?
Do you use a chopped up bar of chocolate?

thx

I think I'm going with this for my next batch. Stouts should be simple IMHO, and this one fits.

@BrewerE--if I throw in chocolate, it's at flameout.

Just brewed this up. Missed my temp by 2 degrees, but OG was right on the money. Woke up the next morning to an exploding volcano! That Irish Ale yeast is a beast. Turns out I had a kink in my blowoff hose, and the yeast figgered that popping the stopper was easier....

Smells amazing so far.

This was the first AG recipe that my brother and I did that was not only drinkable, but good. Gave us an idea of how to formulate a recipe. Thanks so much for this!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I like the looks of this with maybe a little extra chocolate "kick" in the form of either 2-3 oz cocoa powder at end of boil, or 4-6oz of cocoa nibs in secondary.

If I want to do an extract version of this, how would I handle the oats?

Steep?

Back