Citrus IPA; I just thought i'd share this recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gemadrken

Reaction score
Hey all; I made this recipe a few weeks ago. I'm drinking my first bottle of it right now and it turned exceptionally well!

--------------------------------------------------

Citrus IPA recipe

6lbs Light DME
1 lb Golden Light DME
1lbs Cystal Malt 40L
1lb Carapils malt

1.5oz Chinook hops
2oz cascade hops
1oz Centennial
3oz citra hops

Yeast Safale us-05

Fermentation temp 59-71f
Est. OG 1.070
Est. FG 1.016
Est. ABV 7.09%
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Seep grains at 158 for 30 minutes
Boil:
60-
Add 2 lbs light DME
Add 1.5oz chinook bittering hops
30-
Add 1 oz Citra Hops
15-
Add 1lb Golden Light DME
Add 1oz Centennial hops
Add 4lb dry malt extract
Add 1oz cascade hops
2-
Add 1oz cascade hops
0-
Add 1oz Citra Hops

5 days before bottling-
Dry hop with 1oz Citra Hops

Priming sugar; I used 145grams for 4 gallons; that would mean 181.25grams for 5 gallons.

I lost about a gallon of beer because the hops sucked them up.

In the future i'll do the entire fermentation in buckets instead of carboys. i'll add my hops in straining balls during the boil and i'll double the dry hop to 2oz in tea balls.

It ended up at 7.35ABV. Its very malty but perfectly balanced. It has a great hop aroma but could easily handle more.

FG was 1.004

The beer is absurdly drinkable

I'll be trying this recipe again for sure

Thanks for the post Gemadrkn!

Beginner to moderate experience here and I'd like to ask a few questions.

1) What volume of water did you use to steep the grains in, did you sparge with any boiling water into the boiling pot? how much water did you have to add, if any to the primary fermentor to bring it up to 4 gal

2) How long did you primary ferment, did you secondary ferment as well and for how long?

3) Did your ferm temp fluctuate between 59-71 or is that just the acceptable range for the yeast?

I'm going to give your recipe a go but I just wanted to get some clarification before I jump on it.

Thank you!

Thanks for the post Gemadrkn!

Beginner to moderate experience here and I'd like to ask a few questions.

1) What volume of water did you use to steep the grains in, did you sparge with any boiling water into the boiling pot? how much water did you have to add, if any to the primary fermentor to bring it up to 4 gal

2) How long did you primary ferment, did you secondary ferment as well and for how long?

3) Did your ferm temp fluctuate between 59-71 or is that just the acceptable range for the yeast?

I'm going to give your recipe a go but I just wanted to get some clarification before I jump on it.

Thank you!
1- I used about 2 gallons to seep those grains; 150-158f is the temp range I worked with. I had about 1.5 gallons on standby at about 165f to "sparge" the grains with; in this case I used a cualdender(I have no idea how to spell it)- I set my grains it in and I slowly rinsed it with my 1.5 gallons of water (over about 5-10 minutes, so not that slowly). This was enough for it to run rather clear.

I transfered every part of the wort into my primary fermentor; including the trub and hop greens.

Next time I will use 5.5 gallons and I will add my hops in seeping bags; this time I topped up to 5 gallons post-boil and lost a lot of volume to hops.

So 2 gallon h2o seep with 150-158f; with 1.5 gallon sparge; top up to 5 gallons (but imo try 5.5 gallons)

2; my primary fermentation on this was probably about 10 days. I oxygenated my wort with a sanitary aquarium air stone and I used a yeast starter; with those two things I had vigerous fermentation within 12 hours. I dry hopped with 1oz of citra right after transfering to secondary fer-mentor; i bottled a few days after those hops sunk and joined the trub.

3) I think my fermentor stayed around 64-69f during the fermentation; i'm sure the acceptable range is easily 59-71f though; you can probably go a tiny bit higher than that without noticble ill effects.

Thanks for sharing, sounds mighty tasteful to me.
Will definetely try this one in the futere!

Hey all; I made this recipe a few weeks ago. I'm drinking my first bottle of it right now and it turned exceptionally well!

--------------------------------------------------

Citrus IPA recipe

6lbs Light DME
1 lb Golden Light DME
1lbs Cystal Malt 40L
1lb Carapils malt

1.5oz Chinook hops
2oz cascade hops
1oz Centennial
3oz citra hops

Yeast Safale us-05

Fermentation temp 59-71f
Est. OG 1.070
Est. FG 1.016
Est. ABV 7.09%
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Seep grains at 158 for 30 minutes
Boil:
60-
Add 2 lbs light DME
Add 1.5oz chinook bittering hops
30-
Add 1 oz Citra Hops
15-
Add 1lb Golden Light DME
Add 1oz Centennial hops
Add 4lb dry malt extract
Add 1oz cascade hops
2-
Add 1oz cascade hops
0-
Add 1oz Citra Hops

5 days before bottling-
Dry hop with 1oz Citra Hops

Priming sugar; I used 145grams for 4 gallons; that would mean 181.25grams for 5 gallons.

I lost about a gallon of beer because the hops sucked them up.

In the future i'll do the entire fermentation in buckets instead of carboys. i'll add my hops in straining balls during the boil and i'll double the dry hop to 2oz in tea balls.

It ended up at 7.35ABV. Its very malty but perfectly balanced. It has a great hop aroma but could easily handle more.

FG was 1.004

The beer is absurdly drinkable

I'll be trying this recipe again for sure

Yeah i'm actually surprised at the rave reviews this has been getting from everybody; i'll be brewing a 10 gallon batch of it very soon!

Then i'll try translating the recipe to all grain; i'll keep people updated on my findings.

Back