Citra/Mosaic Bulk hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jtvann

Reaction score
What time of year will the bulk providers be selling citra or mosaic hops in bulk. 5 lbs possibly. Been checking with hopsdirect.com and it always seems to be sold out.

If pellets I'd start looking around mid/late October, whole leaf a few weeks earlier.
Not sure about five pounds at a crack though, I buy by the pound. Whether one could score 5 pounds at the beginning of the harvest cycle could depend on all kinds of things out of our control...

Cheers!

Pellets do not get processed until early in the calendar year. Look for harvest 2019 around late January early February.
Citra and Mosaic are late harvest. Most of the crop is already pre-sold on hop contracts to pro brewers.
You can look on Lupulinexchange.com. Maybe you can get lucky and find someone selling 11 lbs.

I don't mind buying by the individual pound, just not willing to pay 35 dollars or more per pound.

Get used to it. It is the old supply/demand thing. There is not enough Citra/Mosaic being grown to meet demand. Pro Brewers are contracting up to five years in advance to make sure their needs are met.

Sometimes they might over buy and then sell off their extra. You would have to look at Luplulin exchange to see what may be available. You can check spot hops or MoreBeer hop exchange. to see if someone might want to back out of their hop contract.

Morebeer may have 5lb packs but I typically unhappy with their larger quantity of hops since you never know if your getting the current season hops

Just a quick scan of Lupulinexchange has the price of Citra from $25-35 a pound with a 44 lb minimum. Plus shipping. So if that is the hop you want, those are the prices you will have to pay. You can try to contact Yakima Valley or Hops Direct and "contract" some hops from the next harvest, but I will guess that most of Citra is already sold out.

Back