Citra/Apollo IPA recipe review (please)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmoewes

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm trying to work out a new IPA recipe using Citra and Apolo. I've used a couple of other recipes to base this on (Fressh Squeezed Clone and Bells Two hearted) Any comments would be apprecited.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 7.03 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.98 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.067 SG
Estimated Color: 7.8 SRM
Estimated IBU: 83.1 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 78.4 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
11.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 81.5 %
1.50 lb Munich (Cargill) (9.5 SRM) Grain 2 11.1 %
0.50 lb Carapils (Briess) (1.5 SRM) Grain 3 3.7 %
0.50 lb Crystal, Medium (Simpsons) (55.0 SRM) Grain 4 3.7 %
0.50 oz Apollo [17.00 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 5 29.6 IBUs
0.75 oz Apollo [17.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 6 20.0 IBUs
0.75 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 7 14.1 IBUs
1.00 oz Apollo [17.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 Hop 8 11.4 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 Hop 9 8.0 IBUs
2.0 pkg SafAle English Ale (DCL/Fermentis #S-04) Yeast 10 -
1.50 oz Apollo [17.00 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 11 0.0 IBUs
1.50 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 12 0.0 IBUs

Actually looks pretty good to me. Personally I would take the dry hop down to one ounce each and thats it.

Actually looks pretty good to me. Personally I would take the dry hop down to one ounce each and thats it.

I'd actually consider upping the dry hop to 4oz total.

For a pale ale I might do 3, but for my IPA's I almost always target 4oz of dry hops @ 3 days for maximum aroma.

I like the look of this. I'd go with a bit more more hops, maybe 1.5oz each for the whirlpool.

Let us know how it is, should be pretty dank.

For a pale ale I might do 3, but for my IPA's I almost always target 4oz of dry hops @ 3 days for maximum aroma.

I like the look of this. I'd go with a bit more more hops, maybe 1.5oz each for the whirlpool.

My last IPA I did 6 ounces and that was little too juicy (for that recipe).

I keep tweaking up and down on both the dry-hop and the whirlpool. Maybe I'll up it to 1.25 for whirlpool.

hops are fine. change out that yeast.

*i don't know what you mean by "first wort 60 min hop" - those are mutually exclusive.

hops are fine. change out that yeast.

*i don't know what you mean by "first wort 60 min hop" - those are mutually exclusive.

I think that's just the way BeerSmith exports it when you do text. It's FWH but technically it is boiled for 60 minutes.

What yeast would you use? I'm breweing this on Saturday so I don't have time to make a very large starter.

I'm fermenting at 65f so whatever yeast I use it going to ferment pretty clean regardless.

Spend the money on enough liquid yeast since you are so close to brew day. S-04 is ok on a pale bit is essentially the same as Wyeast 1098 British ale and I do not find it makes a good pale. If you want something English try WYeast 1469 West Yorkshire or 1968 londen ESB. I have been really enjoying the imperial organic yeast lately plus they are 200 billion in a can so that may be worth checking out.

Grain wise you could use flaked barley instead of the carapils. I do like Simpsons medium but you could up your Munich and cut that crystal all together.

Hops you could cut the first wort and just do all late hop additions and it will good. When I do that basically do a 20, 5, and a whirlpool that I start when I'm down to about 150.

Just my thoughts.

Just my thoughts. grain bill looks fine. As for hops I'd cut the fwh and move that to 60 min you'd prob be able to use less Apollo this way then I'd cut the 15 min Apollo all together and move the 15 min citra to 10 min that way you'll get more flavor out of it. Then take the 15 min Apollo addition and put that into the hopstand. I'd also increase the citra hopstand if you can if not it's not a huge deal. Dry hop looks good. I'd also use something clean for a yeast like 05 if your using dry yeast unless your really a huge fan of 04, I used to be but just find I like the cleaner aspect of 05 or even Nottingham for dry yeast. Just my .2. Citra and Apollo is a great combo, done right you'll get plenty of tropical fruit dripping dankness.

I guess I need to start getting more adventurous with my dry hopping.

If you dont like onion/garlic I would get rid of the apollo hops fast
especially w/ a clean yeast like Notty or 05... still, not as bad as Simcoe.

OP, S04 never did it for me in an IPA. went to 05, 001, 007 or nottingham. you may love s04, i just think there are nicer dry yeasts that finish better, leaving a dryer pale, and better flocculation. my 0.02¢

especially w/ a clean yeast like Notty or 05... still, not as bad as Simcoe.

OP, S04 never did it for me in an IPA. went to 05, 001, 007 or nottingham. you may love s04, i just think there are nicer dry yeasts that finish better, leaving a dryer pale, and better flocculation. my 0.02¢

I think I'll switch it to US-05 for extra clean fermentation.

Good choice on the yeast change and I've never got onion/garlic from Apollo myself and I use it for bittering and hop standing.

i never got cat piss and onions from simcoe either, until someone mentioned it. now that's some brainwashin' lol
hope i didnt spoil it for ya.. d'oh!!

Curious how this turned out? Any onion flavors with using large amounts of Apollo? I'm trying to brew a dry IPA with dank-marijuana-resin flavor and aroma. Apollo sounds like a good one, but I have never used it before.

Back