CIP conical process question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcrawfo2

Reaction score
This is probably a stupid question...but I'm going to ask it just in case.
I have a conical that I CIP. Do I need to remove all the TC fittings and check them....resantize each time? I took one off and it was clean on the conical side.
I assume that as long as I drain things after CIP that everything is good...then I just need to spray down with starsan and go on with my next batch.

After CIP, I always strip down TC fittings and gaskets, soak them in PBW, and then acid rinse them (Saniclean solution). I have the SS BME 14 gal. There are some fittings on this conical, like the racking valve, that have pockets that hold debris even after after CIP

I do not remove the coil and coil gaskets each time, in fact, I do this every 5 or 6 batch. So while stripping everything down is probably best practice, my hybrid approach has worked for me, and so far I haven't had any problems.

Part of the decision is knowing where the risk factors are for your particular set-up.

I first run the CIP with all the fittings on except for the racking arm. Then, I take them off and drop them in PBW. You will notice that you get crud build-up around the gaskets, so you should definitely take them off and soak separately. In particular, my sight glass and elbow seem to crud up a bit regardless of CIP. The racking arm won't get clean unless you setup a tee and divert from the spray ball through it directly. For me, it's easier to remove than to set that up. Once you have done the PBW cycle, you should do a hot rinse and then do your acid wash. You want to make sure you are changing the water here as PBW is basic and Acid #5 or Saniclean are acidic. You will neutralize the acid if you don't rinse it off and change the water first.

Back