Cilantro Lime Wheat Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I brewed mine yesterday. I didn't pay attention and added the lime juice with 5 minutes to go instead of at knockout. I hope this doesn't affect the flavor much. I can always add more after fermentation. I'm going to try "dry hopping" the cilantro also.

Im looking at brewing this beer this weekend. Planning on following the recipe as stated in BYO and DH extra Cilantro after tasting primary sample. Any recommendations before brew day?

Im looking at brewing this beer this weekend. Planning on following the recipe as stated in BYO and DH extra Cilantro after tasting primary sample. Any recommendations before brew day?

personally I do all the prep during mash (zesting lime, weighing hops, cutting up cilantro, etc.) also, I think it's pretty important to ferment this in the low 60's. definitely let us know how the dry cilantroing goes. I've been meaning to try it as I have found that the cilantro in the boil is fairly subtle.

just kegged up my 3rd version of this. I had hit a little low on the OG (1.044). FG is at 1.009 making her 4.6% ABV. Sat in primary for about six weeks in the low 60's. I'll post some pictures and such when she's ready.

Ive mashed in and always try to do all prep work during this time. Using fresh homegrown cilantro. Ill definitly let ya know how it goes.

I tasted mine last night. It had a subtle lime flavor and no real cilantro flavor. But it did have an interesting green tinge to it!

When I got home tonight I added 1/2 oz chopped cilantro and about 1fl oz of fresh lime juice. We'll see how it comes out. I'll cold crash it Sunday night.

2012-05-25_22-03-27_336.jpg

2012-05-31_00-14-57_371-1.jpg

Is it weird that every time ive made this that the taste reminds me of a powdered lemon filled donut?

I brewed this beer and four days before the festival we were informed that we wouldn't be allowed to serve any homebrew.

http://www.stltoday.com/entertainment/dining/bars-and-clubs-other/hip-hops/homebrew-barred-from-st-louis-beer-festival/article_110a5560-b4ab-11e1-a55f-001a4bcf6878.html

At least the Cilantro Lime Wheat got used as an example of the beers we had prepared for this festival! I've seen reports that between the various clubs we had over 1000 gallons, but I believe the number was closer to 800. Hopefully we can get this worked out for next year.

I was happy with how the beer came out. Even with "dryhopping" the cilantro, not a lot of cilantro flavor. If I brew this again, I think I'd put more lime zest in.

I brewed this beer and four days before the festival we were informed that we wouldn't be allowed to serve any homebrew.

http://www.stltoday.com/entertainment/dining/bars-and-clubs-other/hip-hops/homebrew-barred-from-st-louis-beer-festival/article_110a5560-b4ab-11e1-a55f-001a4bcf6878.html

At least the Cilantro Lime Wheat got used as an example of the beers we had prepared for this festival! I've seen reports that between the various clubs we had over 1000 gallons, but I believe the number was closer to 800. Hopefully we can get this worked out for next year.

I was happy with how the beer came out. Even with "dryhopping" the cilantro, not a lot of cilantro flavor. If I brew this again, I think I'd put more lime zest in.

that sucks they barred you from serving. I'm glad you like it. Definitely tinker with it, it's always a work in progress. I think I personally prefer a subtle cilantro flavor but that's all preference.

I finally got to serve this this past Saturday. One of the local breweries held a free, private event for the homebrewers and their guests, and guests of the brewery. Less than 300 people. With it being free, there were no concerns about the law.

The Cilantro Lime Wheat went over well, but probably more so with the non-homebrewers than with the homebrewers. I'll have to make this again for another festival if we can get the law changed.

Interestingly, we also had a cilantro lime jalapeno saison!

I brewed this again. I should have taken better notes. I think the lime flavor is fine, but there doesn't seem to be much point of adding the cilantro to the boil. I'm going to try "dryhopping" with 3/4 ounce of cilantro this time.

Well let us know how that comes out @Spartan1979 .

I've briefly wondered about such a combo for beer, but not long enough to actually have tried to come up with anything.

I'd agree that adding the cilantro to the fermenter is probably the way to go. And would be interested if you find a hop combination to help bring out any lime flavor.

Might be better in your own thread so the other replies to earlier stuff don't become "noise" to this specific contribution of yours.

Back