Cigars

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds good. Except the "pre-embargo" cubans. Biggest cigar scam in recent history.:cross:

While most Cubans in the US are fake.

All my Pre-Embargos, and Cubans were 100% genuine. Triple caps, matching date codes, etc.

My pre-embargos were gifted to me by a well respected collector on Cigar Family, when I was a member there.

I owned a ecommerce cigar biz for about 4 years as well, until I sold it. Pre Embargo Cubans are VERY hard to fake, if you know what you are looking at.

Cellos will be completely yellow from age, and chances are it will be hard to get off the actual cigar. They are meant to be collectors pieces.

I just don't know what to do with them....can't smoke them 'cause they suck, don't want to toss them because they were expensive!

Keep em. If they are real, they are worth a lot of money. I gave mine to a friend, who bought my Humidor and collection.

Also had a bunch of stuff from Casa Fuente. BBMFs, Chili Peppers, ESGs, etc.

Oh you meant REAL pre-embargo cubans. I thought you meant the Pinar ones.

I went to my best friend's bachelor party and gifted him some nice cigar. Can't remember what it was now, Partagas ISOM I believe, which was real. He had his heart set to smoke the "Pre-Embargo" Pinar. At least he realized he made a bad decision.

Just took a long walk with the dog and enjoyed a CAO Criollo Conquistador; I've never really taken the time to review any cigars I've smoked to any great detail so I'll do my best here both for my own edification and for Data who is feeling his way through the world of handmades.

Construction was quite nice; no soft or hard spots and the cigar bounced back with some spring when it was handled to assess the build. A very nice Corojo wrapper in impeccable condition. Pre-light, I tasted a bit of dry cocoa when I put it to my lips. Toasted the foot and lit. First draw was heavy with rich coffee up front which gave way to a prominent spiciness. This is a medium-full cigar that should be smoked slowly and enjoyed (shouldn't they all?!?!). Nicaraguan tobacco can bite unpleasantly if rushed.

The burn was even and the ash solid. No flaking or running.

About midway, the espresso notes remained but I was getting more woodsy, earthy notes. There was a distinct creaminess and the spice began to build in intensity. Sweet spice and sharp pepper. This was a tasty cigar.

i had the pleasure of enjoying a SAN LUIS REY SERIE A from '04 yesterday... a brilliant cigar. i've noticed the more age the more coffee flavor has come out.

in any case, a great mild but intense smoke, one of my favorites...

Some new additions to the coolidor:

Alec Bradley Harvest Selection '97 Churchill x 2
Leon Jimenes Robusto x 2
Gurkha Class Regent Nepalese Warrior x 2

All new to me. :D

Some new additions to the coolidor:

Alec Bradley Harvest Selection '97 Churchill x 2
Leon Jimenes Robusto x 2
Gurkha Class Regent Nepalese Warrior x 2

All new to me. :D

From what I remember of the class regent, very earthy with lots of flavor. Was a good smoke.

It's a shame this thread isn't getting more replies; I was looking forward to talking cigars some more!

Haven't tried the Class Regent Nepalese Warrior yet, but I plan on during this evening's brew session.

It's a shame this thread isn't getting more replies; I was looking forward to talking cigars some more!

Haven't tried the Class Regent Nepalese Warrior yet, but I plan on during this evening's brew session.

Let me know how it goes. I think that I like the regular class Regent just a little better...which is surprising, I typically enjoy the wrapper type on the Nepalese, but the blend just didn't feel right to me anymore.

OK... it's not the best picture, but these were my treats on Saturday night. Opus No. 4 and my Munich Dunkel. It doesn't get much better than that.:)

DunkelandOpus.jpg

OK... it's not the best picture, but these were my treats on Saturday night. Opus No. 4 and my Munich Dunkel. It doesn't get much better than that.:)

DunkelandOpus.jpg

mmmmm.....Opus. I have a bunch stashed away that I never smoke. I used to hit them up all the time, but with Winter I stopped. Now I don't want to smoke one because I know that I don't smoke enough to truly enjoy it. I'll just light one up in the near future though :rockin:

My humis are empty and I'm currently waiting on 5'ers of:
Indian Tabac Super Fuerte Double Corona
Indian Tabac Cameroon Legend Robusto Grande from the devil site.
Today I enjoyed an LX2 Toro

Let me know how it goes. I think that I like the regular class Regent just a little better...which is surprising, I typically enjoy the wrapper type on the Nepalese, but the blend just didn't feel right to me anymore.

Definitely an earthy, woodsy smoke! I enjoyed this one. I had some slight burn problems early on that were easily touched up - but the entire smoking experience was still quite lovely.

Any thoughts on the Perdomo Lot 23? The box price is just right.

Don't belong to any Cigar forums. Buy mine from Cigars International. Sign up to the mailing list for specialsa and buy a box whenever you need to restock.

I'm against the Cuban stogies for many reasons: they arent as good as they were before Castro took over the factories, the prices are jacked up because of "embargo" and all the best makers left to the DR or Nicaragua.

My fav is Carlos Torano -Casa Torano.

If your just getting into it I suggest going for light bodied stogies.

welcome to the lifestyle

The Napalese Warrior is one of 2 Gurkha smokes that I will even touch. They are in the same category as Rocky Patel to me. Too many names on too many things and nothing to show for it except their fat wallets.

I do love the Napalese Warrior though and Cigar Bid is the only way in hell I would ever buy them. It's a Cameroon wrapper by the way. Nice and toothy.

I'm against the Cuban stogies for many reasons: they arent as good as they were before Castro took over the factories, the prices are jacked up because of "embargo" and all the best makers left to the DR or Nicaragua.

I'd like to see some information to back this up. For instance, have you had a pre-embargo cuban? I doubt it, most of them are unsmokeable.

Prices are not jacked up. Chances are, if the prices are high then they're fake. You're just not looking in the right places. You wanna talk about jacked up ... you shop at Cigars International.

And how can you say "all" the best makers left Cuba? From what I'm hearing, it sounds like you've never had one. Sounds like you've sampled a few glass top cohibas to me.

I would suggest that you join some cigars boards and stop spreading hearsay.

I'm sorry, it's a sensitive subject.

:mug:

you sir, might want to check your math here, and then do some more research. have you ever had a pre-embargo... better yet a *real* cuban cigar? if so, i would love to know the brand, vitola and box code so i can stay away from them :D

Don't belong to any Cigar forums. Buy mine from Cigars International. Sign up to the mailing list for specialsa and buy a box whenever you need to restock.

My fav is Carlos Torano -Casa Torano.

If your just getting into it I suggest going for light bodied stogies.

welcome to the lifestyle

Cuban cigars still have a twang that you just can't get with other cigars. They do have a specific flavor profile just like wines, whiskies, and beers from certain areas. For some, that taster is absolutely amazing. I like it, but like other cigars a lot also.

I think that Cuban cigars are still world-class....I just think that a lot of the other areas have caught up. I mean, the Padron's and a number of Fuentes are just amazing. Period. As are my PSD4's....mmmmm...PSD4's.

I do agree about the CAsa Torano -- excellent, smooth, velvety cigar.

The other two gurkhas I touch are doble maduro and certain ancient warriors.

I'm with ChefChris. Cigars International is a pump and dump scheme with very few real deals. I can typically find brand-named cigars for 20-30% less. Even at my local brick and mortar; dukecitycigars.com I can find boxes 25+% cheaper than at CI. Especially since nearly every month they'll give 20% off Padrons or other brands.

The other two gurkhas I touch are doble maduro and certain ancient warriors.

You named my other choice of Gurkha, the Ancient Warrior. I've found them pretty cheap at tampahumidor.com. Free shipping on singles, too. Really nice owner. I met a friend from a cigar board down in Tampa and he works there part-time.

The Dominican ones are... meh.

I couldn't agree more. The 'Red Spot' Cohibas have a long way to go, in my opinion. Smoked a Lonsdale this morning over my morning cuppa. The first inch or so was bitter, grassy and unpleasant; not a good way to start a cigar. The burn was even and the draw excellent, but those first impressions left me dissatisfied. As I progressed through the cigar, the rough edges mellowed out and the spiciness of the Cameroon wrapper became more assertive. The middle third smoothed out considerably, almost too smooth. There just wasn't enough complexity and it all hinges on the Cameroon character. It wasn't until the final third that the flavor became more interesting - nutty, woodsy, spicy.

The body and flavor were mild-medium, at best.

:mad:

I know we have some cigar smokers here and I am looking for learn about them. Any advice or good sites you could point me towards?

Last night I went to a store with a walk in humidor and they were selling "grab bags" for 20 bucks. They had 10 cigars in them. Most of them still had their price tags on them and for the most part they are all right around 9 or 10 each so it seems like it was a good deal. They are probably old but I doubt I will know the difference right yet.

For the OP - you went to Cigar-ette City in People's Plaza right? Next time you're around, ask for Anthony and have him pick out some stuff for you. He's a cool guy and he's smoked almost everything in the store from what I understand. He's never given me anything I haven't enjoyed.

I personally enjoyed a Partagas black with a Brooklyn Monster the other day, and it was heaven.

For the OP - you went to Cigar-ette City in People's Plaza right? Next time you're around, ask for Anthony and have him pick out some stuff for you. He's a cool guy and he's smoked almost everything in the store from what I understand. He's never given me anything I haven't enjoyed.

I personally enjoyed a Partagas black with a Brooklyn Monster the other day, and it was heaven.

Yes, a Partagas Black with a good beer is a pleasurable time. I was kinda pissed when SWMBO bought me a pack as a gift because I've never been too impressed with Partagas', but man do I like the black with a good beer.

I got that sampler bag in College square store but have since gone to People's and got a few cigars. What does Anthony look like? The guy helping me really seemed to know what he was talking about.

Damn, cant remember off the top of my head. It was a few weeks ago and i've smoked most of them. I think the receipt is still in my box.

Damn, cant remember off the top of my head. It was a few weeks ago and i've smoked most of them. I think the receipt is still in my box.

Keep notes! Like beer, it's the only way you can keep track of what you've enjoyed.

I've been keeping a notebook, taping the band to a page and jotting down some quick impressions as I smoke.

Keep notes! Like beer, it's the only way you can keep track of what you've enjoyed.

I've been keeping a notebook, taping the band to a page and jotting down some quick impressions as I smoke.

I should be doing that. I have just been keeping the bands of the ones I like.

Ahhhhhh thats perfect. Its just been i like this or I dont like this so far. I dont know how I didnt see that before.

These are what I got and the prices.

Olivia Connecticut Churchill- $6.79
CAO Gold Corona $4.30
Leon Jimenes 300 Corona $6.49
Ashton Classic Corona $6.35

I REALLY liked the LJ 300.

Wow, you guys are all over the Leon Jimenez. I tried several of them years ago and was significantly unimpressed. Have they really changed that much over the years?

I got that sampler bag in College square store but have since gone to People's and got a few cigars. What does Anthony look like? The guy helping me really seemed to know what he was talking about.

Anthony is the kind of short hispanic guy. Very friendly and extremely knowledgeable about cigars. One of my friends used to work there and he told me to only go by Anthony's recommendations, as the other guys tend to only suggest what they like.

I'm partial to Cohibas Maduro, and the local beer store has a humidor with Makers Mark cigars, delicious.

Ok, I just went and spent alot more than what I intended to. I really need to pay more attention to prices instead of just getting what he reccomends.

0328091319.jpg

From left to right---

Macanudo Gold-Duke- 7.30
H. Upman Camaroon-Robusto- 5.49
Montecristo White- No2- 12.64
Olivia Conecticut- torpedo- 6.79
Leon Jimens 300- Robusto- 8.49
Cuvee 151 - robusto- 6.99

Add a lighter to that and it was 53 bucks!!!!! I was only planning on spending around 20. And I didn't even get as ashtray like I had wanted to.

That Montecristo White is going to make it all up to you! That Cuvee looks like it might be spicy, did the retailer give you a good description on that one? Nice picks though, nice.

He told me about all of them but I honestly cant remember about some of them.

I think I am going to go have a Victor Sinclair Camaroon right now though. I have a website that I need to work on so I think I am going out back while it is still nice before it starts to rain and enjoy that cigar and a glass of arrogant bastard!

Back