Cider with Rapid Rise bread yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gnr993

Reaction score
So, I'm starting to screw around with some 1 gallon batches. I've currently got a rum going (1.185 OG) as well as a berry cider (rasp, black and blue). Yesterday, I was bored and had some free time, so I added a packet of the HIGHLY active bread yeast to a gallon of regular apple juice. I didn't take an OG, but the last time I used this brand of juice, the SG was 1.050, so I'm assuming that for my OG.

I left the house about 15 minutes after pitching and returned about 4 hours later. This puppy was ROCKING!!! 2+ bubbles a minute in a 3 piece airlock. I did this in a glass gallon jug and there were bubbles coming up EVERYWHERE! I left a little head space because I wasn't sure what kind of foam would occur and I filled that space today after seeing that there was little to no foam at all.

Anyway, this is still cloudy and in the must (?), I am seeing dozens of small CO2 bubbles per second. I mean, it's amazing how quickly this yeast appears to be eating the sugars!

I know this has been tried before, but I just wanted to share. I have had some fast ferments (blow offs with quick bubbles and what not), but this appears to be the fastest initial lag time coupled with an insane rate of fermentation.

So, how fast should this be through fermenting? Will bread yeast clean up after itself the same as ale yeast? If so, how long AFTER cease of fermentation should I leave the cider on its yeast cake?

Any comments on how you think this'll turn out?

Thanks!!!

Back