Cider with Brett C

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mer-man

Reaction score
After having Double Mountain’s Secret Crush cider, I wanted to try making a dry cider with Brett.

I chose Brett C mostly because the profile should be the least funky.

Thanks to a nearly expired vial, I underpitched - should get good flavour expression.

And of course I bought a new shiny bucket with tap and airlock to dedicate to Brett.

Anywho, it’s just a straight simple Apple juice at 10p, with some servomyces added. I want the yeast character to show.

I will post more when it is done.

Anyone done a Brett primary cider?

I also have used Brett secondary, not primary.
Supposedly Brett produces a thinner mouthfeel compared to Sacc and it doesn't live as long without co-fermentation.

Mine has been delicious.

Keep us updated!

IMG_0004.jpg

That one.

And here’s the 1.015 gravity
IMG_0791.jpg

IMG_0801.jpg

It’s slowing down. Just 2 points in the last 48 hours. Has the aroma I wanted and tastes nice but I’m gonna let it ride to see how much it will dry out

IMG_0004.JPG

It’s getting a perceived bitterness but finishes with a yeasty-bready finish like some champagnes. Not really improving. Hmmm

When you said 1.015 was "without sweetness" ... You might not like dry cider.
1.015 is too sweet for me (AKA semi-sweet or medium-sweet).

So I dry hopped it with Mistral, crashed that out, and then primed with some tasty Apple juice.

Wife and I weren’t quite sure what to make of it — odd, not bad.

Then last week we were at a nice restaurant and got a glass of a nice white Bourgogne... took a sip and agreed that’s what the cider tastes like. It was totally wild.

Of course the cider has a final aftertaste of yeast like in some champagne. But wow

Back