Cider top off dilemma

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nobble1430

Reaction score
What do you all top off your cider with? Prob going to go shopping for some glass marbles/stones to fill up the space differential. That seems safest as I don't want to add any contaminants acidentally.

Also my local apple orchard started putting potassium sorbate in thier cider. Doh luckily not using it in my batch i made.

less than .1 of 1%. Doesn't seem like alot but hey if it helps preserve the cider it's gonna play havic on getting yeast to start i'd think. Anyone know for sure if this is a recipe for disaster. Was considering trying orchard cider if my fresh pressed mix of apples isn't appealing at the end of the experimental brew i got going now.

I wouldn't worry about topping off your cider. Carbon dioxide is heavier than air, so the air leaves your carboy first.

sorbate keep yeast from getting started, so if you added an actively fermenting starter to the sorbated cider it might work. We'll see what other say, but if its your only source of fresh cider i'd try it.

Latest posts

Back