Cider To Vinegar Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SirPublius

Reaction score
I've had my cider bubbling away for a week now. I haven't smelled it. I don't even have a hydrometer. I guess I will see how it smells and whatnot when I rack it soon. My question is, I've been looking into it, but I haven't found a concise answer...how long does it take for cider to turn to vinegar?? I know it DEPENDS on if there is an infection, if there is air getting into it, how much air, but what I mean is, if there is no infection, and it is properly sealed, is that something someone has to worry about happening after a few weeks, a few months, or what? I've put so much work into it (I pressed the pears myself) that I am starting to get a bit paranoid about everything that can go wrong. Is there anything that needs to be done after it is racked to stop fermenting or to stop it from becoming vinegar? I initially thought after it was racked, you just age it for a few weeks or months with an airlock on it and then enjoy. Would that be a correct assumption, or am I missing a step? Just want to make sure...

As far as I know, the only way it can become vinegar is by the action of acetobacter bacteria.
The bacteria are present in the environment, but you usually get an infection from its carrier, the common fruit fly.
If your sanitization regimen is good and you keep it under airlock until you bottle it, and minimize exposure to air, the likelihood of infection is pretty low.

My understanding is like the above. and that the infection requires a larger number of bacteria than one find present in the natural environment.

Back