Cider tasting bland

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

universalfrost

Keep your stick on the ice.
Reaction score
Tried the cider house yeast and six gallons of Sam's club apple juice.

Didn't add any sugar to up the SG..

Let it ferment for a few weeks to hit FG... Came out at 5.4%.

Tastes really bland...not dry, not sweet, just blah...

It's in a keg in my kegerator and carbed...

Toying with adding in mulling spices (found some that come in tea bags) or putting in some cinnamon sticks or maybe even adding in some dry hopping with a stainless hopping ball I've got.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000UVUHPM/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H3VQ8T6/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Thoughts?

I'm just looking at adding in some complexity to this batch...

Next time I'm thinking about adding extra sugar and or hops or spices in the primary.... Also thinking about ysing different juice instead of the Sam's juices...

Last edited by a moderator:
I would definitely change up the juice on your next batch. I have been keeping some tabs on my ciders from commercial juices. I have found, at least anecdotally, that the sweeter the juice, the less complex the final cider. Out of the commercial brands of juice, my favorite has been White House. It is definitely one of the less sweet juices, and it seems to have the best apple flavor compared to the other five brands I have tried.

A bit of malic acid could help. Oaking it in the keg with cubes can help too.
I'm going to stop by the wine shop and pick up some on the way home from work..
Never thought of using them.

How long should I leave them in the keg and should I just toss in and leave them ( after soaking in vodka of course) or put them in a hops bag so I can remove at a set point in time..??

You might do well using two different kinds of juices, although the brand name won't be much help. Really good ciders tend to have a mix.

Tried the cider house yeast and six gallons of Sam's club apple juice.

Didn't add any sugar to up the SG..

Let it ferment for a few weeks to hit FG... Came out at 5.4%.

Tastes really bland...not dry, not sweet, just blah...

It's in a keg in my kegerator and carbed...

Toying with adding in mulling spices (found some that come in tea bags) or putting in some cinnamon sticks or maybe even adding in some dry hopping with a stainless hopping ball I've got.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000UVUHPM/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H3VQ8T6/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Thoughts?

I'm just looking at adding in some complexity to this batch...

Next time I'm thinking about adding extra sugar and or hops or spices in the primary.... Also thinking about ysing different juice instead of the Sam's juices...
I use Sam's 100% AJ all the time with S04 being my go-to yeast....typically add FAJC to up the SG...so I get 7% After typically 7-10days I cold crash for 48hrs....rack back into the cleaned/sanitized juice containers and then add cinnamon sticks, tart cherry & blueberry concentrates from Brownwood Acres, frozen 100% Concord grape juice...and soon frozen pineapple juice concentrate....then toss the 1gal containers back in fridge & serve right from them. All have turned out great! (No chemicals added...)

Once I can get some juice from local cidermills I'll be doing those too.

Cheers & good luck!

S04Batch5gal.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the info

ive used kroger juice in the past with s05 with great results just plain juice.. also i have an orchard near me and usually get fresh pressed juice in the fall for dirt cheap...

maybe next time i add in some frozen concentrate to the mix

Good pressed juice from an orchard makes all the difference. A blend of Golden Russett and Roxbury Russett. Or a blend of Northern Spy, Baldwin, and Rhode Island Greening. Maybe this Fall you can find an orchard with the right kind of juice.

I'm going to stop by the wine shop and pick up some on the way home from work..
Never thought of using them.

How long should I leave them in the keg and should I just toss in and leave them ( after soaking in vodka of course) or put them in a hops bag so I can remove at a set point in time..??

I've used 1/2 oz medium toast American oak per gallon and take it out after 3 weeks. Since you've already kegged it you can just leave it in there and make notes of how the taste changes with time... for the next batch.

Store shelf juice and FAJC are very bland to begin with. Sugar-water IMO. It’s ok if you’re going to flavor it with other fruit. But not for just Hard apple cider.

Back