cider taste?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodney

Reaction score
I noticed a weird cider-y aftertaste in a bottle of my beer, but just one bottle. It was my first batch, a Listermann Gomez American Lager (Sam Adams clone), and everything else has tasted fine, delicious actually.

Now....I thought it was just maybe an off bottle until I bought a few bottles of assorted Barrelhouse beers (local Cincinnati micro-brewery) and discovered the exact same aftertaste. Except theirs was worse. The Red Legg Ale, which I loved at one time was absolutely disgusting. What causes this?

A green apple flavor can be from acetaldehyde. Usually present in green beer, it can also occur if the beer was fermented too warm.

A minor Aceto Bacteria infection can also result in a flavor like that.

In your case, I'd guess that one bottle was drank a little early, or stayed a little too cool to carb properly (to me, beer that's in the middle of carbing tastes like green apple Woodchuck [not to be confused with upchuck, which is the condition Woodchuck promotes])

For the micro, it's not unheard of for a minor bacterial infection to occur in the bottling line. It's usually caught before the beer leaves the premises and the beer gets pasteurized, but some damage could have occurred by that time.

Back