Cider Ruined??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TedLarsen

Reaction score
I made my first batch of hard cider, following Jessica Shabatura's directions exactly: http://http://makinghardcider.com/index.htm" .

I used some delicious cider from a local orchard, and made a slightly sweetened (backsweetened with Xylitol) carbed cider. I didn't try to clear it with pectic enzyme -- I like cloudy cider, and figured I would like the cloudy hard cider just fine.

O.G. was 1.050; F.G. (before sweetening and adding apple juice to carb) was 1.000, and after adding the juice was 1.050. After racking from the primary after a week, I racked it twice, each time after about 4 weeks. Then I bottled it.

It doesn't taste very good at all. It's a little hot, but I can live with that; but it also does not have a nice taste to it. I can't describe it, wish I could.

But my question is this: while cider is often not aged for very long, is there a chance that simply aging it in the bottles for 6 months or so may mellow it out, make it taste okay?

I have no intention of tossing it, but I wondered if there is even reason to hope. I am quite certain that it didn't get contaminated in any way -- as certain as one can be, anyway (I am pretty anally rigorous about sanitation). There was a bit more headspace in the final racking than I usually use when making wine. Could it have oxidized? It was done fermenting (SG unchanged for at least a week) before racking it the final time -- I only did it because I wanted to bulk age it a little longer, and there was a pretty good sludge of lees in the bottom......

The hot taste will probably go away with aging. Have you used xylitol before? Personally I find most artificial sweeteners to have an unpleasant taste, but I haven't ever tried xylitol.

I'd not used xylitol before, but the unpleasant taste in the cider was there before I sweetened it. It's there in addition to the hot -- and it's not >that< hot.....by that I mean that the hot taste is simply there, and not bad at all.

There's something else, that I can't quite describe.

The taste you can't explain probably meAms it's still green. Let it age another 2 months minimum before tasting again and I will bet it tastes much better. Wait 6 months and I'm sure it will be great. That's kinda my standard practice for ciders.

Back