Cider noob here...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captn_rob

Reaction score
Hi all, just finished my first bottle of my first homebrewed cider and man was it good! No idea what ABV was but one 16oz flip top bottle was enough for a good buzz for sure!
I made my cider completely from scr3with ZERO additives. I grew, picked, and pressed the apples myself and fermented in a 1 gal glass jug with airlock with nothing but wild yeast. Bottld after 3 weeks when no more bubbles showed, then aged for 3 more weeks. Only problem was that i lost quite a bit when I opened the bottle because of the explosion of pressure. I think maybe more headspace next time? Flavor is dry and slighty tart and so delicious. I'm definitely hooked. Planning a batch of mead next!

Hats off to you, that's a lot to do for your first cider. Sounds like you added too much sugar for the bottle priming. A small scale and using an online priming calculator will help next time. Get a jug of cider from an orchard and do it again!

Nice, welcome to the addiction. Did you stop carb just off of blind faith or have a PET soda bottle filled at same time to measure readiness?
Blind faith. Lol. I think maybe batch 2 (in the fermenter) I'll try the pasteurization technique after bottling

Hats off to you, that's a lot to do for your first cider. Sounds like you added too much sugar for the bottle priming. A small scale and using an online priming calculator will help next time. Get a jug of cider from an orchard and do it again!
I didn't add ANY sugar. I used ZERO additives. Only cider and time.
Still have 3 gallons of my own fresh pressed for more...

Back