Cider Kit with strong H2S smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewbush

Reaction score
So I made the Ciderhouse select cider kit per instructions. However after bottling (unfortunately I did not notice prior to bottling) there is a strong rotten egg smell.

Has anyone else had this issue with these kits?

I suppose there is nothing I can do at this point.

So I made the Ciderhouse select cider kit per instructions. However after bottling (unfortunately I did not notice prior to bottling) there is a strong rotten egg smell.

Has anyone else had this issue with these kits?

I suppose there is nothing I can do at this point.

Typically goes away with age.

thanks

Could I have prevented it with some nutrient additions during fermentation? Perhaps some Fermaid and DAP?

thanks

Could I have prevented it with some nutrient additions during fermentation? Perhaps some Fermaid and DAP?

If the yeast struggles one of the side effects is the smell, so nutrients can help like Fuzzymittenbrewing said. But you also need to watch cider temperatures, you want it to be warm (65-70F) during cell division (Day 1-2), then after the foam breaks it typically is good to have the temperature cooler (55-65F) depending on the yeast suggestion.

Also before bottling you could have put the cider in a bucket and let the smell air out of it for awhile. No more then a few hours and you probably shouldn't do it unless you added preservatives (sufites/sorbates).

Back