Cider is absolutely terrible

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peyotedreams

Reaction score
Hey, this is my first post but Ive been reading these forums for the longest time. Im not going to list my Ingredients or my process, I know all of these are perfect. Heres the problem, I racked to a secondary after 2 weeks, (from a 1 gal to a 3/4 gal carboy) but I realized my bung didn't properly fit in the carboy. No big deal I thought, but around week 3 I came downstairs and noticed that both the bung and airlock had fallen off leaving it exposed to air for ~10 hrs. Put the stopper back in and thought it was still salvageable. Tried a taste tonight and it was so terrible it had me dry heaving.

1) Im guessing this has to be contaminated, but im surprised as its ~10%ABV, Is this the case?

2) If so, can this make me sick? I know this has been asked so many times, but it was honestly so bad it was like my body wanted it out ASAP (Funny Stuff though)

It's not bad from 10 hours of air, sorry, that ain't it. What yeast did you use? Did you pasteurize the cider? There could be wild yeast in there otherwise, but it wouldn't act in just 10 hours. I don't trust sulfite to kill wild yeast, it doesn't, so if you didn't pasteurize, all bets are off. Did it just taste like sulfur? Farty? If so, that is totally normal and will age out. Did it taste like vomit? That's happened to one of my ciders one time. If so, that is not reversible. Does it taste highly alcoholic? How much sugar did you add to how big of a batch?

You might still be able to salvage this cider, I wouldn't dump it yet without knowing more details. 10 hours of air won't hurt a flea. Can you be more descriptive about its taste?

Hey, this is my first post but Ive been reading these forums for the longest time. Im not going to list my Ingredients or my process, I know all of these are perfect. Heres the problem, I racked to a secondary after 2 weeks, (from a 1 gal to a 3/4 gal carboy) but I realized my bung didn't properly fit in the carboy. No big deal I thought, but around week 3 I came downstairs and noticed that both the bung and airlock had fallen off leaving it exposed to air for ~10 hrs. Put the stopper back in and thought it was still salvageable. Tried a taste tonight and it was so terrible it had me dry heaving.

1) Im guessing this has to be contaminated, but im surprised as its ~10%ABV, Is this the case?

2) If so, can this make me sick? I know this has been asked so many times, but it was honestly so bad it was like my body wanted it out ASAP (Funny Stuff though)

I think the problem is you're tasting 3 week old cider. Let it be & it'll most likely get better.
Regards, GF.

I suggest you post your process without the whole picture how is anyone supposed to help?

Can you describe the smell/ taste?
Was it Barnyard, wet cardboard, burlap, nail polish remover, farty, onion/ garlic, rotten eggs, burnt rubber, latex, vinegar, green bean/ bitter green pepper?
Was it topped up into the neck of the carboy? What did your carboy previously hold? What was your sanitization process? how long from when you sanitized until you filled the carboy? I can keep going with questions but without much detail provided it's all a shot in the dark.

After 10 hours you could get some slight oxidation but not likely something that would make you wretch. You probably have some other infection, did you taste your cider along the way? when you racked 3 weeks ago?

Nothing that can survive in your beer/cider/wine can make you sick. It might not taste so great, but it won't hurt you (assuming no allergies).

Back