Cider Infected?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terranova1340

Reaction score
I am wondering if my cider is potentially infected. I am pretty new to home brewing. I currently have a JAOM going and two 5 gallon carboys of Ed's Apfelwein recipie followed exactly.

My question about an infection relates to my second carboy. The first from what I can tell looks fine and is beginning to clear at the 22 day mark. The second is at the 17 day mark and doesn't look like the first in that there are these "Strands" of bubbles on the top that don't seem to want to dispearse. If I slightly shake the carboy they disappear but than come back later. They however do not pop or anything on their own. I pulled the stoppers off of both to smell them and they both smell more or less the same they have a strong Apple and Alcohol smell and the airlocks still show activity obviously the first which is at the 22 day mark has very little activity but I still see bubbles coming up the sides. This one in question has activity of about 1 bubble every 10 to 15 seconds.

Before anyone asks I did completly sanatize everything. I used bleach, rinsed everything off and than used starsan as my equipment was new and I was concerned.

I attached a photo let me know what you think.

Thanks

20171016_122325.jpg

looks like its still fermenting a little. all good. keg it when you reach the right sweetness you're looking for. if you're bottling, I'd wait till they're dead still. then backsweeten if needed and bottle em up.

Could be that those strands of bubbles are forming along fine scratches in the glass or some residue that was left behind by a bottle brush. Bubbles in your carboy will nucleate on edges, pits, or other small particles. You can demonstrate this phenomenon by pouring a carbonated beverage, letting it settle for a few minutes then drop in a few crystals of table salt. The eight corners on each salt cube are perfect nucleation sites and bubbles will form immediately. Something similar can happen on imperfections or scratches on the inside of your glass carboy. I don't think you have much to worry about here.

Back