Cider Has Lots of Sediment In Bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoxBrewer

Reaction score
I made some of the caramel apple cider from a recipe on here and I am finally able to throw some in the fridge, however the plastic bottle I used to figure out how long to carbonate has a LOT of sediment. I used the Whole Foods 365 apple juice.

The first picture is the majority of the sediment. Second is after pouring. It's much clearer after sitting in the fridge, when compared to a room temperature bottle of cider.

C3DD077D-9CB7-434C-B36B-03891C466B90-4873-000004B699AD27D6.jpg

60F1B881-D770-4BA0-93D3-7F77EF23F0A5-4873-000004B69F746DFD.jpg

Would cold crashing before bottling help cutting back on the sediment in the bottle? Or maybe I need to use some sort of clarifying additive?

Did you rack to a secondary carboy before bottling, or did you go straight from the primary to the bottling bucket?

Did you rack to a secondary carboy before bottling, or did you go straight from the primary to the bottling bucket?

Straight from the primary. But like I said, the sediment doesn't settle at the bottom until it's refrigerated, so I am not sure a secondary would help.

Straight from the primary. But like I said, the sediment doesn't settle at the bottom until it's refrigerated, so I am not sure a secondary would help.

Sure it would. Time always helps. If it's not clear when you bottle it, it will have sediment in the bottle. The sediment always falls out eventually. If you bottle a clear cider, the sediment in the bottle will be minimal.

Yooper said:
Sure it would. Time always helps. If it's not clear when you bottle it, it will have sediment in the bottle. The sediment always falls out eventually. If you bottle a clear cider, the sediment in the bottle will be minimal.

I am thinking of maybe cold crashing it before bottling it, as that is what makes the sediment drop to the bottom and helps it clear.

How long was it in the primary?

I made a batch of cider with actual cider (as opposed to juice) and my bottles are crystal clear after 2 weeks in primary, 2 in secondary, and 2 in the bottle.

How long was it in the primary?

I made a batch of cider with actual cider (as opposed to juice) and my bottles are crystal clear after 2 weeks in primary, 2 in secondary, and 2 in the bottle.

Only two weeks in the primary, then to the bottles. I didn't want it to dry out too much... The sediment in the bottles is very strange. Almost gelatinous, haha!

Back