Cider gravity seems high..looking for input

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baddagger

Reaction score
hey all ive had my hard cider fermenting for a little over 3 weeks now and I just took a gravity reading and I got my readings between 1.05 and 1.07.. Now after three weeks I would have thought it would have been lower then that..does that sound right? or should I be thinking about doing a 2nd pitch of yeast now? and when I tasted the sample it seems really really sweet I could still taste the table sugar I added in it

First of all what was your OG? If you started really high,
1. Your yeast would have a hard time of it to begin with.
2. They might have only got you to 1.05 anyway.

If you started someone around there and haven't changed in 3 weeks something is definitely wrong. Try repitching and keep your temps at the recommended temp for the strain. Also, this is kind of a "Is your computer turned on?" sorta question but are you sure your juice was preservative free?

Lastly, "readings between 1.05 and 1.07"? I would hope you could measure the density with a little better precision and consistency. You should be able to get to the thousandths place and it should be within .001, if not exactly the same, for the same temp.

First of all what was your OG? If you started really high,
1. Your yeast would have a hard time of it to begin with.
2. They might have only got you to 1.05 anyway.

If you started someone around there and haven't changed in 3 weeks something is definitely wrong. Try repitching and keep your temps at the recommended temp for the strain. Also, this is kind of a "Is your computer turned on?" sorta question but are you sure your juice was preservative free?

Lastly, "readings between 1.05 and 1.07"? I would hope you could measure the density with a little better precision and consistency. You should be able to get to the thousandths place and it should be within .001, if not exactly the same, for the same temp.

yes the cider was preserve free, as for the 1.05 1.07 that was from different batches sorry should have been more clear on that.

Back